The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is the implementing agency of the Federal Republic of Germany for technical and international cooperation. It offers flexible, sustainable and effective solutions in political, economic and social change processes. Most of the work of GIZ is commissioned by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). GIZ also operates on behalf of other German ministries as well as public and private bodies in Germany and abroad. These include the European Commission, the United Nations, the World Bank and governments of other countries.
Green People’s Energy (GPE) aims to improve the conditions for decentralised energy supply in rural areas in selected African countries, involving both the civil society and the private sector. To this end, the programme has activities in nine countries across Sub-Sahara Africa, including Zambia. Green People’s Energy was commissioned by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development, with a project duration until September 2022.
In Zambia, the project focuses on vocational training and education on off-grid solar technology by improving the skills of the front-line water, agricultural and electrical technicians in solar energy applications in Lusaka and Southern Province. GPE cooperates with its partners in order to develop one or more up-to-date short-term courses on off-grid solar PV technology installation. The project activities include (1) the development of curricula, (2) training of trainers and course implementation for students at four selected vocational training institutions, and (3) awareness raising on solar quality standards.
In this context, GIZ is seeking a suitable candidate for the following position:
Advisor – TVET (Lusaka based)
Main tasks and responsibilities:
- Coordinating implementation of activities in the field of technical and vocational training in solar PV energy applications,
- Communicating with and advising the vocational training institutions on development and upgrading of job profiles, curricula as well as conducting training of trainers
- Advising training institutions on certification matters for in-service skills award short courses as well as on their internal organisation.
Technical support to partners in the focal areas of capacity building and vocational training
- Conceptualising and implementing the process of developing modernised job profiles, curricula, trainees’ and trainers’ manuals for in-service skills award short courses with academic and training institutions
- Advising vocational training institutions and academic institutions, e.g. on the development of new interactive course contents, integration of private sector needs, gender-sensitive contents, etc.
- Contributing to the development of the Incubation Centre/Centre of Excellence in solar energy applications in VTIs,
- Advising on the digitalisation of training content by VTIs and/or TEVETA,
- Supporting the development of business plans and offering technical assistance for the four selected VTIs,
- Procuring solar equipment and training material for the selected training institutions
- Promoting social inclusion and gender mainstreaming in all activities
Coordination, monitoring and knowledge management
- Organising skills development stakeholders, partners and committee meetings,
- Managing the inputs from the institutions, external short- and long-term experts and interns in the development of new curricula and ensuring quality delivery
- Fostering knowledge exchange between colleagues within GIZ Zambia and partner organisations
- Compiling factsheets on skills development, newsletter articles and analyses in collaboration with various GIZ sector programmes at headquarters in Germany with input from the project management
- Monitoring and recording progress against the project’s indicators
- Sharing knowledge on local, regional and international platforms, e.g. communities of practice, energy conferences, etc.
- Supporting internal project planning, operations planning, Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) of the GPE project
Other duties/additional tasks
- Performing any other duties/tasks as requested by the project management
Qualifications and requirements:
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in a relevant field (e.g. Vocational Education, Energy Studies, Environmental Management/Sciences/Engineering, etc.); a master’s degree is an added advantage
- At least 5 years of managerial and institutional experience in academic or TVET or other educational institutions in Zambia
- At least 3 years’ work experience at/with TEVETA is preferable
- Strong personal network in Zambia’s academic and TVET institutions as well as in the renewable energy sector especially solar energy
- Demonstrable political, advisory and facilitation skills
- Demonstrable experience in engaging with governmental institutions, academic and/or TVET institutions
- Previous experience in working on gender mainstreaming is an added advantage
- Experience in working with or engaging with the private sector is an added advantage
- Experience in working for an international organisation is an added advantage
Knowledge, additional competences:
- Must be self-motivated and proactive
- Strong analytical skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- High level of diplomacy
- Knowledge of the application of renewable energy technologies in the agricultural sector is an asset
- High fluency in English, especially strong writing skills
- Ability to manage and prioritise own workload
- Excellent IT skills (MS Office Suite, especially Word, Excel, and PowerPoint; online research); ability to learn new tools an added advantage
- Fluency in Tonga and/or Nyanja, both written and oral, are an added advantage
The successful candidate will be expected to start employment with GIZ, on a full-time basis, as soon as possible. The contract shall be for a fixed term with a possibility of renewal. Interested candidates must send the CV and a cover letter electronically, quoting the reference GIZ_GPE_TVET in the subject line to: [email protected] by 15:00 hrs on Friday, 13th November 2020. Certificates, qualifications, etc. must not be attached to the application. In addition, traceable references of previous engagements must be provided. Please note that only applicants selected for interview will be contacted. GIZ is committed to being an equal opportunities employer. Therefore, women and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.