LUSAKA APEX MEDICAL UNIVERSITY
The LUSAKA APEX MEDICAL UNIVERSITY (LAMU) is a privately owned U
JOB OPPOTURNITIES: EXTERNAL
Issue Date: 7th March 2023
The LUSAKA APEX MEDICAL UNIVERSITY (LAMU) is a privately owned University, accredited by the Higher Education Authority under the Higher Education Amendment Act No. 23 of 2021 to provide Higher Education in Medical Education. LAMU is regulated by the Health Professions Council of Zambia (HPCZ), Nursing & Midwifery Council of Zambia (NMCZ), Technical Education, Vocational and Entrepreneurship Training Authority (TEVETA). Lusaka Apex Medical University is therefore looking for a mature, proactive, and highly motivated and result oriented Zambian with high degree of credibility to fill the following position:
To oversee the development and maintenance of effective Library services in order to ensure availability of up to date information resources (reading materials) which are easily accessible to the students and faculty members.
1) Develops, implements, supervises and evaluates the Library’s strategic plans, programmes and activities, aimed at achieving the University’s mission and vision
2) Formulates and implements Library policies and procedures to govern the use and operation of the Library so as to offer excellent services to staff and students and University programmes.
3) Leads the digitalization of University of documents thereby modernize storage and retrieval of information and data hence improving accessibility.
4) Supervises the provision of Library services at all the campuses of LAMU through regular checks and guidelines to ensure seamless and coordinated services.
5) Conducts needs analysis of library users and initiate the procurement of appropriate literature to meet such needs, ensuring that the Library is always fully stocked with books for all courses.
6) Checks various sources, including book reviews, publisher’s catalogues and other information sources to recommend material for acquisition.
7) Supervises the classification and cataloguing of books, reports and other publications to enable readers to access them easily.
8) Devises efficient book lending procedures and systems in order to be able to track and account for all books which are in circulation.
9) Takes stock of books in the Libraries and arranges for replacement of missing or damaged ones.
10) Ensures that the Libraries are properly furnished and cleaned to make the environment conducive for reading.
11) Spearheads the automation of the Library and promote the use of electronic library resources to increase accessibility.
12) Participates in teaching academic courses in the area of specialisation.
13) Leads in the preparation of the Library budget.
14) Coordinates the maintenance of physical infrastructure of the LAMU Libraries.
- Full Grade 12 school certificate or its equivalent
- Bachelor’s Degree in Library and Information Science
- Masters in Library and Information Studies or any other relevant field from a reputable university.
- A PhD in either will be an added advantage.
- At least Eight (8) years’ experience, with five (5) years at Senior Management level in a recognized institution.
- Should be a member of relevant professional Association
Qualities & Skills
- Strong IT skills and familiarity with the use of databases and the internet
- Team working and management skills
- Assessment of resources and library users’ needs
- Presentation and verbal communication skills
- High level of planning and organizational skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Passionate to conduct research
- Should be able to work under minimum supervision and able to multitask
Applications to be sent to:
Lusaka Apex Medical University
P O Box 31909
E-mail: [email protected]
Closing date: 17th March 2023
Only short-listed and successful candidates will be contacted.