MARY BEGG HEALTH SERVICES
At MBHS, a Nurse Assistant works under direct supervision and guidance of the registered nurse to provide hands-on care to patients in a variety of areas (i.e. inpatient, outpatient, triage, occupational health etc.).
All MBHS Nurse Assistants must provide patient-centred, compassionate, competent and quality care. They must adhere to the Mary Begg Code of Conduct and must practice safe, ethical and evidence based patient care at all times as dictated by the MBHS Healthcare Standards.
KEY ROLE ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Ensure that standard operating policies and procedures (SOPs) are followed with regards to nursing care that is in keeping with the MBHS standards of care.
- Provide patient care that is respectful, ethical, compassionate, competent, caring and professional at all times.
- Demonstrate an ability to work competently in triage, outpatient, in-patient, emergency services and any other assigned area.
- Must be accessible at all times when rostered and be available for shift work.
- Maintain patient dignity and confidentiality at all times. Make ethical decisions related to consent and confidentiality. Any breach in patient confidentiality will result in disciplinary action.
- Maintain a hygienic and safe work environment in accordance with the MBHS Healthcare Standards and all associated policies and procedures.
- Assist with cleaning and organising the ward to ensure it is clear of dust and items are easily accessible.
- Make patient beds and clean the patient’s room as directed by the nurse in charge.
- Ensure a clean and tidy bedside environment.
- Escort patients to and from the ward for tests (i.e. blood tests, x-ray scans).
- Assist the qualified nurse in taking and collecting patients from the operating theatre.
- Assist the registered nurse to care for clinically ill patients with bed bathing, pressure sore care, ambulating patients, monitoring fluid intake and output etc.
- Maintain routine patient checks, as ordered by the nurse in charge and report anything unusual.
- Assist the registered nurse in wound care dressings, if required.
- Assist with serving meals, feeding patients as necessary and providing fluids between meals.
- Inform the nurse in charge/ allocated registered nurse of any concerns relating to appetite or reduced fluid intake.
- Provide patients’ personal hygiene by giving bedpans, urinals, baths, backrubs, shampoos, and shaves; assist with travel to the bathroom; and help with showers and baths.
- Assist with oral hygiene as required.
- Answer patients’ call lights and requests; decide if any additional help is required and call a registered nurse.
- Report on any patient change in the patient’s physical or mental health to the registered nurse or unit leader immediately.
- Follow proper procedure of lifting, turning and ambulating patients in and out of the bed or chair, as directed by the registered nurse and according to the patient’s current level of activity.
- Ensure patients have adequate fluids as directed by the registered nurse.
- Inform the unit leader/registered nurse immediately if there are any urgent or emergency patient cases.
- Follow patient isolation policies and standards at all times.
- Continually demonstrate adherence to the Infection Control Policy, especially maintaining proper hand washing technique.
- Use and maintain correct personal protective equipment (PPE) such as eye protection, masks, gowns and gloves where appropriate.
- Carry out any other duties assigned by the Unit Leader or Registered Nurse within your scope of practice.
- Establish a good rapport with all patients and maintain a good bedside manner at all times.
- Demonstrate good customer service by listening to patient’s concerns and providing proper support and care.
- Be polite and respectful to patients and staff at all times.
Able to demonstrate an empathic and caring approach to patients and relatives.
- Report any evidence of poor customer service (i.e. bullying, rude behaviour, yelling etc.) to the Clinic Manager or HR Manager.
Experience, Skills and Qualification
- 2year working in a similar role
- Customer centric
- Full grade 12 certificate (including English and Maths)
- Caregiving certificate ( a Must)
- Computer literacy advantageous