Website Mary's Meals
The Operations and Logistics Manager will play a key role responsible for ensuring proper implementation and execution of operational plans for Strategy and Development and the Management of Procurement and Storage, Contracts, Assets, Transportation Fleet and Administration.
The role will also ensure a properly coordinated integration of the supply chain network across all areas of operation of Mary’s Meals Zambia (MMZ) while ensuring compliance of logistics policies and procedures to ensure timely delivery of school feeding items. The role holder will be responsible for ensuring the right products are delivered to the right location on time, to the quality required and in the most cost-effective way.
Strategy and Development
- Contribute to the creation and implementation of best practice operations, operational vision, logistics vision, strategy, policies, processes, and procedures to aid and improve operational performance.
- Key advisor to the Head of Finance and Operations on matters of organizational integrity with the aim of ensuring compliance with MMZ operational policies and regulations and effective systems to support programme delivery and growth.
Procurement and Storage Management
- Obtain value for money in the procurement process through implementation of an effective and efficient procurement process based on the MMZ and MMI procedures.
- Working closely with the Finance Manager, maintain accurate and up-to-date logistics records, including procurement, stock, distribution, and wastage/loss.
- Ensure effective functioning of all storage and distribution processes, with emphasis on optimal stock level management, efficient distribution planning, hygiene control and proper documentation.
- Support the preparation and submission of food orders on time, to ensure timely delivery.
- Maintain a cordial working relationship with suppliers on behalf of MMZ.
- Participate as a key member of the Internal Procurement Committee.
- Draft contracts, including all procurement documentation and ensure that they are properly drafted and protect the interests of Mary’s Meals.
- Ensure contract clauses are in line with local laws and that they are adhered to by suppliers/partners and recommend necessary actions when there is a breach.
- Maintain proper documentation of all contracts under lock for safe custody.
- Ensure that provision of facilities (regular or one off) is backed by relevant service contracts.
- Ensure that MMZ property and its surrounding, and assets are maintained in line with MMZ health, safety and security standards and appropriate local legislation and regulations.
- Ensure construction projects are undertaken in line with local guidelines and relevant technical support.
- Ensure proper adherence to MMZ policy and regulations in the management, tracking and disposal of assets.
- Ensure proper accountability of MMZ assets
- Develop mechanisms to ensure proper care and maintenance of MMZ assets, buildings, and premises.
- Ensure MMZ buildings and surroundings are properly branded, including school feeding premises.
- Plan, manage and evaluate logistics operations liaising with internal stakeholders, suppliers, logistics providers, transportation companies and recipients.
- Ensuring the right products are delivered to the right location on time, to the quality required and in the most cost-effective way.
- Overseeing the distribution and transportation of school feeding items.
- Overseeing the storage processes and in-house warehouse.
- Enforce efficient and effective fleet management processes and procedures with adequate controls to safeguard the vehicles against relevant risks, including theft and misuse.
- Develop mechanisms for proper accountability of fuel usage and ensure vehicle parts are in place and are functioning.
- Ensure vehicle management costs are kept to a minimal and there are adequate controls to safeguard vehicle parts
- Adhere local vehicle regulation requirements, including registration and insurance.
- Ensuring there are fleet use is properly planned and coordinated to ensure programme activities are adequately supported with transport.
Departmental Management and Reporting
- Manage, coach, and develop a high performing team, to include Procurement, Administrative, and Transport Officers, that meet agreed objectives and delivers best practice results, added value and continuous improvements.
- In consultation with the Head of Finance and Operations, represent Mary’s Meals in relevant external operations and logistics forums in Zambia.
- Develop, implement, review and monitor progress of agreed annual operations and logistics plans to complement the country strategic plan
- Lead in budgeting and management of operations and logistical resources
- Capacity building of staff in operations and logistics processes and procedures
- Supervising day-to-day activities of the operations and logistics section by managing the Administration Assistant, the procurement officer, the transport officer and construction technician.
- Developing, reviewing, and improving administrative systems, policies, and procedures.
- Set operations departmental objectives and review and assess ongoing performance of direct reports.
- Perform analysis and forecasting for strategic and operational planning.
- At least on a monthly basis, prepare management reports that inform and evaluate the performance of all operations and logistics functions. Report on achievement of targets and identify any actions required.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- BA/BSC in a relevant subject (e.g. Procurement, Finance, Business Administration/Management, Operations Management, Logistics, Supply chain management or other relevant disciplines)
- At least 5 years of continuous relevant work experience in a mid-level manager role in a busy environment.
- Very good computer skills, including familiarity with management reporting tool and, Microsoft Word and Excel
- Working knowledge of the Zambia regulatory framework and familiarity with relevant regulatory and statutory bodies.
- Strong team leader, capable of managing a team in a dynamic environment including coaching and motivating.
- A practical, solution oriented pragmatic person able to exercise initiative and sound judgement, who will work at every level to get the job done.
- Strong attention to detail to ensure accuracy in all operational and financial reporting
Working knowledge of management reporting tools
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build and maintain good communications channels at all levels within the organisation
- IOSH Health and Safety qualification
- Possesses a sense of urgency and self-motivated
- Experience of working in emergencies
- Good grasp of the main Zambian local languages.
- Understanding of the place of school feeding in relief and development will be an added advantage.
- Experience of working in a charity or not for profit organisation is desirable
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org