At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
Job Title: Mech, Rigger
Site: Kansanshi Mining Plc
Department: Smelter Engineering
Section: Secondary Smelting Mechanical
Position reports to: Supervisor, Rigging
The position of Mech, Rigger is to ensure all lifting; moving and rigging of equipment is performed in a safe manner complying to regulation and mine safety standards
This position will be required to adhere to all relevant requirements, policies, procedures and legal regulations pertaining to health, safety, environment and quality, as well as finance, human resources, and any other regulations as required by the company. The specific tasks to be performed by the position holder will include;
- Ensuring that all rigging activities are properly planned and performed to the upmost standards in support of maintenance personnel maintaining operational integrity of the plant & equipment in order to achieve production targets.
- Reporting directly to the Rigging Supervisor, you shall be responsible for providing the highest quality services and that all services provided are performed within a safe and timely manner.
- Performing all rigging tasks around the Smelter Plant as assigned by the Supervisor.
- Work with the team to draw up lift plans for critical lifts.
- Be able to work with artisan riggers to inspect lifting and rigging equipment as guided, identify and report to the Supervisor when such equipment does not meet the safe operating standard of such equipment. This includes; Statutory inspections on all crawls, gantry cranes, hoists, lifting gear, winches and other related equipment.
- Be able to interpret mobile crane load charts and estimate the lift to ensure that proper rated cranes or equipment are selected before any attempt is made to lift.
- Safe loading and securing of loads on trucks; low bed trucks and flatbed trucks.
- Demonstrate a commitment to work place safety and the safety of fellow employees.
- Ensure compliance with Safety and Environmental Management systems, policies and procedures along with ensuring that all risks have been identified, managed and safe working environment is maintained.
- Ensure good housekeeping practices are maintained by enforcing cleaning up before, during and after every task and not leaving any hazards within the work areas.
- Have the ability to plan for tasks; Identify and organize the correct equipment needed to minimise unnecessary delays in planned tasks.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Supervisor.
- Grade 12 School Certificate
- Minimum qualification: Craft Certificate in Rigging or TEVETA Trade Test
- Member of the Engineering Institution of Zambia
- A minimum of 2 years’ relevant experience as an Assistant Rigger in a Mining/Plant environment
- Knowledge of work place safety, including risk assessments and following allocated safe work procedures
- Proven experience and knowledge on overhead cranes, mobile cranes, lifting equipment, standards and regulations.
- Competence in operating forklifts, mobile cranes, cherry picker will be an added advantage.
- Be a self-starter and able to work autonomously and as part of a team
- Ability to work under pressure and maintain work standards and safety regulations
- Driving Attendance
- Results oriented
- Able to read, write and communicate in English.
- Physically fit and able to work at heights and in confined spaces.
- Hard working and self-driven
- Prepared to work in noisy and dusty/gaseous environments
- Team player
- Demonstrate quality workmanship consistently
- Good time management skills
- Disciplined and respectful towards others
- Prepared to work long hours when necessary- Overtime and call out work may be required.
- Capable of working in a fast-paced, enthusiastic, production orientated environment.
To apply for this job please visit firstquantumcareers.com.