National vocational training expert for partner VTIs in Luapula Province, Zambia
Zambia, Southern Africa
NIRAS International Consulting (NIC) is participating in a tender in Zambia under the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) implemented “Thriving through innovative vocational education in the water and energy sectors (THRIVE)” Project in Zambia.
We, therefore, seek to find a National vocational training expert for partner VTIs in Luapula Province for the consultancy services in technical and vocational education and training (TEVET) in the water- and solar energy sector.
The opportunity is at the tendering stage in the GIZ tender process.
About the project:
Commissioned by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ), the GIZ is implementing a new Technical Cooperation (TC) Project “Thriving through innovative vocational education in the water and energy sectors (THRIVE)” in Zambia. The THRIVE project is part of the “Water in Zambia”, a German Development Cooperation (GDC) Programme whose aim is integrated management of Zambia’s water resources and improved access to safe drinking water and adequate sanitation.
The overall objective of the THRIVE Project is the labour market orientation of technical vocational education and training in the water and solar energy sectors is increased for young people. The THRIVE Project supports vocational training institutions (VTI) through labour market-oriented training and in-service training in the solar energy and water sector in cooperation with public and private companies. Through the improvement of competencies of skilled workers, the project creates significant preconditions to the introduction of solar powered electricity supply systems as well as for the sustainability of sanitation and water supply, thereby, contributing to the impact logic of the GDC programme.
Tasks of the National vocational training expert for partner VTIs in Luapula Province:
Based at the two partner VTIs in Luapula Province with occasional assignments in partner VTIs in Lusaka and/or Southern Province, the National vocational training expert for partner VTIs in Luapula Province will have the following tasks:
- Assume responsibility for advisory services in gender sensitive planning and implementation training courses in the two partner VTIs in Luapula Province
- Assume overall responsibility for the implementation and monitoring of tasks related to Output 2 and 3 with the two partner VTIs in Luapula Province, including coordination and collaboration with other partner VTIs
- Assist team leader in selection and specification of training equipment and tools for VTIs in Lusaka, including installation, as well as in preparation of local subsidies for of local for partner contributions related to the TVET courses
- Assist team leader in management support to VTIs, incl. organizational issues, strategic planning, financing and marketing
- Assist team leader in assignment of short-term specialists for the design of training materials and in activities related to training of trainers and support to the implementation of training courses
- Assist partner VTIs the participation in coordination formats incl. skills advisory groups in the water and solar energy sectors
- Closely work with VTIs selected employment and entrepreneurship officers to build up relations with private and public sector companies for industry training components and employment opportunities
- Assume administrative duties such as setting up meetings and workshops related to project activities
- Perform other duties assigned by the team leader according to requirements
Only the experts meeting the set criteria will be shortlisted and contacted.
- Education/training: University degree (BSc) in the field of vocational education, water and/or environmental management, electrical or mechanical engineering, or business administration
- Languages: Proficient language skills in English (level C1 according to Common European Framework of Reference for Languages) (5 out of of total of 10 points in assessment) and proficiency in Bemba (remaining 5 points in assessment)
- Valid driving licence required and familiarity with driving vehicles with manual transmission.
Professional experience required
- General professional experience: 10 years of professional experience in capacity building in the operation and management of utility service providers (such as water supply, sanitation or electricity supply).
- Specific professional experience: 5 years of professional experience in TEVET in plumbing and/or water supply and sanitation and/or construction and/or electrical technology (5 out of 10 points in technical assessment), thereof 2 years work experience in TEVET-industry collaboration (remaining 5 points in technical assessment)
- Leadership/management experience: not applicable
- Regional experience: 6 years of work experience in Zambia (5 out of 10 points in technical assessment) and 2 years in the east and/or south African region (outside of Zambia) (remaining 5 points in technical assessment)
- Development cooperation (DC) experience: 2 years of experience working on DC projects
- Other: 2 assignments with gender-related measures in the past 3 years
May 2023 (tentative)
Deadline For Applications