REPUBLIC OF ZAMBIA
MINISTRY OF FINANCE AND NATIONAL PLANNING
RURAL FINANCE EXPANSION PROGRAMME
IFAD Loan No. 2000000429-ZM
Spanish Fund Loan No. 2000000430-ZM
RUFEP/CS/ICS/003/2022: REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST FOR CONSULTING SERVICES TO CONDUCT A COMPREHENSIVE GENDER SENSITIVE MAPPING OF FINANCIAL SERVICE PRODUCTS BY RURAL FINANCE EXPANSION PROGRAMME (RUFEP) PARTNERS
1. Background Information
The Government of the Republic of Zambia (GRZ) and the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) jointly established the Rural Finance Expansion Programme (RUFEP) under the Ministry of Finance and National Planning (MoFNP) with the development goal of improving livelihoods of the rural poor through sustainable economic growth. To achieve this, RUFEP aims to increase access to, and use of, sustainable financial services by rural men, women and youth in Zambia. The Programme targeted 500,000 households consisting of men, women and youth in rural areas of the ten (10) Provinces of Zambia as direct beneficiaries. At least 50% of the target beneficiaries were expected to be women and 25% youth. The Financing Agreement for RUFEP between GRZ, IFAD and the Spanish Food Security Facility Trust Fund (SFSFTF) was signed on 22nd July 2014. The Ministry of Finance and National Planning (MoFNP)’s Investment and Debt Management Department is the Lead Programme Agency and has overall responsibility for the implementation of the Programme. With a duration of eight (8) years, RUFEP was due for completion by 30th September, 2022. However, following a request by GRZ to extend the Programme by one (1) year to consolidate the gains achieved by the RUFEP, IFAD granted a No Cost Extension of the Programme up to 30th September, 2023. The Programme Design of RUFEP has three (3) Components: (i) Strategic Partnerships, (ii) Innovation and Outreach Facility (IOF) and (iii) Knowledge Management and Programme Implementation. RUFEP’s Programme Coordination Office (PCO) is established under the Knowledge Management and Programme Implementation Component to coordinate the implementation of programme objectives by providing financial and technical support to Strategic Partners and IOF Implementing Partners. By 30th September, 2022, RUFEP had engaged a total of ten (10) Strategic Partners and forty-six (46) IOF implementing partners (implementing 55 Projects) to achieve the programme objectives. In terms of outreach over 600,000 households consisting of men, women and youth were direct beneficiaries, the majority of which were women.
RUFEP would like to engage a Consultant to conduct a Gender Sensitivity Mapping of Financial Service Products and Alternative Delivery Mechanisms designed, developed, piloted and rolled out by RUFEP partners.
2. Objective of the Assignment
The purpose of the assignment is to assess the current product offerings by Partners supported by RUFEP and evaluate access to and usage of financial services from a gender perspective. The main objective of the assignment is to generate data, information and knowledge on existing gender gaps in terms of access and usage and provide recommendations for Financial Service Providers (FSPs) to design, develop and offer products and services that are gender sensitive.
3. Scope of work for the assignment
Specifically, the consultant will:
- Review available background data including sex disaggregated demographic information on financial inclusion across the financial sector in Zambia.
- With the assistance of RUFEP, select at least three RUFEP Partners that includes a Savings Group Promoter, Microfinance Institution (MFI) and a Commercial Bank with product offerings on market and delivery channels and conduct a gender sensitive mapping on each of the products and distribution channels.
- Conduct a comprehensive Gender mapping, analysis and needs assessment (qualitative and quantitative) of the current financial products offered by Partners supported by RUFEP.
- Identify services, product features, delivery channels, criteria and conditions including collateral requirements for accessing the financial products and services offered and assess the extent to which they disadvantage women in accessing credit and other financial services.
- Provide recommendations for Policy makers, FSPs on how they could design policies, Programmes, Financial Products and Services that are gender sensitive.
The assignment is envisaged to be undertaken within 60 days upon the award of the contract to the Individual Consultant.
5. Qualifications and experiences required
To undertake the assignment, the Individual Consultant must have the following experience and skills:
- A minimum of a Masters Degree in Gender Studies, Social Work, Anthropology, Development Studies, Agricultural Economics, Rural Development or any other related field.
- Minimum of five (5) years experience in Gender Analysis and Assessment of local and international projects and programmes.
- Demonstrated ability to undertake research and write high quality reports or analytical papers in English.
- Knowledge of the quantitative and qualitative assessment and evaluation methods will be an asset for this assignment.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
6. Short-listing criteria
- The short-listing criteria are: (a) provide information demonstrating that they have the required qualifications and (b) relevant experience to perform the services.
7. Selection of the Individual Consultant:
A consultant will be selected in accordance with the individual consultant selection (ICS) method set out in IFAD’s Project Procurement Handbook that can be accessed via the IFAD website at www.ifad.org/project-procurement. Interviews will not be conducted as part of the selection process.
- Interested consultants may obtain further information at the address below during office hours from 09:00 to 17:00hours (Monday to Friday).
- Expressions of interest in form of detailed curriculum vitae (CV) must be delivered in a written form to the address below no later than 10:00 hours local time (Zambia), 10th March, 2023.
Head – Procurement and Supplies Unit
2nd Floor, Room 105
Ministry of Finance and National Planning, Chimanga Road, Ridgeway,
P.O. Box 50062, Lusaka
Tel: +260 211 252 653,
Fax: +260 211 252 653
E-mail: [email protected]
Issue Date: 24th February 2023