Revenue for Growth (R4G)
Job Title: Tax Administration Specialist
Sector: Tax; Public Financial Management
Position Type: Full-time
Duration/Level of Effort: 1-year contract
Position Location: Lusaka, Zambia
SUMMARY OF THE PROJECT
The USAID Revenue for Growth Project (R4G) is a five-year project that supports the Government of the Republic of Zambia to increase domestic revenues with the overall aim of expanding fiscal space for public spending and investments in service delivery and ultimately poverty reduction. The project engages with both government and non-government stakeholders to build capacity across four components: 1). Tax and Non-Tax Revenue Administration, 2). Tax Policy, 3). Public-Private Dialogue and 4). Addressing other Fiscal Policy and Management Priorities as they emerge.
SUMMARY OF THE POSITION
The mission of the role is to assist the ZRA in achieving a sustainable increase in Domestic Revenue Collection in a manner that promotes private sector led growth, increase voluntary compliance and strengthen the tax culture. The specialist assist in the delivery of R4G project activities and will ensure that change is embedded sustainably and that expected benefits are realised.
The position requires a solution oriented candidate, adept at problem solving while maintaining a focus on outcomes and ensuring that change is delivered as promised. The role involves both project and risk management skills, and requires a bold but achievable pace of delivery, minimising periods of disruption and mitigating risks with as little bureaucracy as possible. Change management, communication and capacity building are key elements to the role, and we expect candidates to be able to develop leaders and sponsors, identify points of resistance and create informed support for change.
- Support the definition of the Project agenda and priorities, engaging line management to define Project initiatives and set them up for success
- Communicating openly and frequently with Project initiative owners to ensure progress and achievement of Project goals
- Driving and leading the delivery of Project outcomes being executed through/by counterparties
- Aid Project solution design by inter alia, identifying root causes, process mapping, providing leadership in areas of expertise and accountability, and finding alternatives to achieve results and complete Project deliverables
- Track progress of Project Initiatives and proactively raise issues for resolution
- Support proactive risk mitigation and facilitate timely decisions to ensure envisioned outcomes are achieved
- Monitor change management risks related to the Project and coordinate mitigation plans
- Facilitates the right quality of discussion by Project leadership team, elevating the strategically most important and time-critical initiatives
- Focus the Project Leadership Team on Project outcomes that typically require a high degree of change and/or impact multiple areas of the business
- Engage sponsors and business owners on Project agenda and initiatives
- Engage line management and the Project Management Office (PMO) on programmes which are essential to the Project (has visibility of all projects to check interdependencies)
- Provide regular written and oral updates on the status of Project activities
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field (e.g. Finance, Accounting, Taxation, Economic Policy or equivalent)
- MBA or Post-graduate qualification in taxation (desirable)
- Chartered Accountant, ACCA or equivalent
- At least five years of experience working in Tax, preferably with external audit experience in a reputable accounting firm
- Project Management
- Strategic thinking and analysis
- Organisation and planning
- Execution and persistence (the ability to get things done and identifying and rectifying problems that occur)
- Strong interpersonal, communication and collaboration skills
- Independence and objectivity
Language Proficiency: English Language fluency
The application window will close on 2nd June 2023, but interviews may take place before then, so candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
For your application to be considered, please upload your documents as followed: Candidate Last Name, First Name, date, Title of the Position.
Cowater International is an equal opportunity employer, basing employment on merit and qualifications as they relate to professional experience and position expectations. Cowater does not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, religion, sex, gender identity, disability, age, or any other basis protected by law.
We thank all applicants, however only those shortlisted will be contacted.
Cowater International is a leading global development consulting company founded in 1985. Headquartered in Ottawa, Canada and with corporate hubs in Montreal, Canada, Brussels, Belgium, and London UK. Cowater International has successfully delivered a portfolio of over 2500 projects and assignments in more than 95 countries. We work with governments, private sector actors and communities implementing projects that support socio-economic development, institutional strengthening, environmental improvements and advance equal opportunities for all. We are a diverse and experienced team committed to building a better tomorrow for the people we serve. Our adaptive approach to management has led to our yearly award-winning work and recognition as one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies since 2017.
We thank you for your interest in building a better tomorrow with Cowater International.