Lumwana Mining Company Limited (LMC), a copper mining company owned by Barrick Gold Corporation is situated in the Northwestern region of Zambia, some 300 km west of the Zambian Copperbelt and 95 km southwest of the provincial capital of Solwezi. The mine is a multi-pit, multi staged operation mining approximately 100MT of ore and waste per annum and producing copper concentrates containing an average of 120,000 tonnes of copper metal per year over a twenty (20) year mine life, making Lumwana the largest single open cut copper mine in Africa. The Company is now looking for an experienced and qualified individual to be considered for the position of Senior Metallurgist – Projects.
Reporting to the Metallurgical Superintendent, your duties will include but not limited to the following;
- A strong commitment to safety leadership ensuring that all Safety Policies and Procedures are followed by all
- Prepare Daily, Weekly and Monthly Tailings Reports
- Oversee tailings dispositioning as advised by KP
- Analysis of plant production data with a view to identifying opportunities for improvement
- Development of project schedules, including budgets, resourcing, project stakeholders, risk assessments and key deliverables
- Valuation and prioritization of projects according to budget, risk profile, timeline, and strategic fit
- Reporting on progress against milestones
- Execution of capital projects in compliance with the Newcrest-Red Chris JV projects framework
- Work with the Metallurgical Superintendent to ensure that capital projects are included in quarterly, annual and Life of Mine Plans
- Advise/participate in the application of best-practice methods to enhance safety, improve operational efficiency, control production costs, and protect the environment
Experience & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in Metallurgical, Mineral Processing or Chemical Engineering
- Member of EIZ and registered with ERB
- A minimum of 7 years’ operating experience as a metallurgist or process engineer with exposure to froth flotation and tailings operations
- Demonstrated experience leading and executing processing studies and capital projects, from development to commissioning
- Strong reporting and presentation skills
- Experience with leadership and supervision of small teams (operations and/or projects)
- Proficiency with MS Office and data analysis software (MS Excel, MS Project, Power BI, Minitab, etc.)
- Experience with metallurgical balance software, data historians and plant control systems (DCS)
- Proficiency and experience with minerals process modelling, as well as financial modelling, will be regarded favorably.
Zambian Nationals who meet requirements for this position and are resident in Zambia are strongly encouraged to apply
If you meet the requirements, submit your online application by clicking ‘APPLY NOW’.
Applicants may be subjected to any of the following: a Security and / or Police Clearance Check; a Competence Assessment, Qualifications, Credit and Reference Checks.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.barrick.com.