SNV Netherlands Development Organisation
SNV Netherlands Development Organisation
SNV is a not-for-profit international development organisation that makes a lasting difference in the lives of people living in poverty by helping them raise incomes and access basic services. We aim for premium quality and focus on only three sectors: agriculture, energy and water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH). With a long-term, local presence in over 25 countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America, we know how governments work and how relationships are built. Implementing our mission exclusively through project financing requires us to work efficiently and invest in operational excellence every day. Our team of more than 1,300 staff is the backbone of SNV.
The Rural WASH Project
SNV Zambia is implementing a water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) project, in rural areas of 4 provinces and targeting multiple stakeholders, including Water and Sanitation Utilities, Local Authorities, private actors and Civil Society organisations. It seeks to professionalize and promote accountability for WASH services in Zambia, paying particular attention to the needs of women and girls, and other vulnerable groups.
In 5 years, the project aims to deliver access to safe water to 633,900 people, provide sanitation services to 500,000 people, reflect effective partnerships with the private sector and Government partners, and improve capacity for 150 organizations.
The WASH Governance & Accountability Expert will be based in Mongu, Western Province, Zambia and is expected to lead all WASH Governance & Accountability project activities, under the supervision of the Provincial Leader, whilst also reporting to the Project Manager.
The purpose of the position is to ensure the timely and appropriate co-design, implementation and monitoring of the activities related with WASH Governance and Accountability in coordination with the other project components, in view of the achievement of the project objectives. Specific scope of work is the following:
- Lead the engagement and mobilization of the Local Authorities towards better response to WASH needs (coordination, planning, budgeting, alignment with key WASH policies and programmes),
- Facilitate results based and inclusive platforms for LAs and other key WASH players (CUs, private service providers, civic and traditional leaders and CSOs) to discuss and act on WASH issues
- Guide community mobilization towards increased demand for quality WASH services, including strengthening citizens awareness on quality service delivery/minimum service standard
- Build capacity of local civil society organisations for evidence based WASH advocacy and provide regular and tailored support to strengthen their ability to hold WASH service providers and policymakers accountable
- Ensure that the needs of girls, women and other vulnerable groups are consistently addressed and that social safeguards are promoted towards all project counterparts and across all the project activities delivered in the province
Furthermore, the WASH Governance & Accountability Expert is expected to:
- Consistently monitor and critically assess progress, pro-actively providing input to adjust/improve the outcomes whenever relevant
- Actively contribute to project’s evaluation and learning activities
- Ensure the project’s visibility and profiling in line with its branding guidelines
- Comply with SNV’s administrative and financial procedures for project planning, implementation, reporting, monitoring and evaluation
- Comply with SNV’s Code of Conduct
- Advanced degree in a related field (e.g. public/environmental health, public policy);
- At least 7 years of experience working in the WASH sector in Zambia
- Demonstrated knowledge of rural WASH challenges preferably in the Southern Province context
- Sound understanding of the relevant WASH government stakeholders at local and national levels, existing policies, regulations and programmes and national commitments and targets
- Ability to recognize and address equity and equality issues in WASH service provision, with demonstrated expertise in leading Gender and Social inclusion mainstreaming
- Experience in mobilizing and building capacities of local counterparts, including community groups, CSOs and of leading them towards the achievement of key targets
- Ability to understand and lead citizens accountability processes and use related tools
- Experience in timely managing, delivering and monitoring WASH related activities, including facilitating meetings at multiple levels and preparing/delivering trainings and workshops
- Advanced communication and negotiation skills with different types of stakeholders, from Local authorities to Traditional Authorities and Community groups
- Ability to work independently and with the team
- Good organizing skills and interpersonal skills
- Initiative and creative in solving problems
- Ability to communicate in Lozi
- Good computer skills (Ms. Word, Ms. Excel, Ms. Power Point, Internet and Outlook)
Duty station: Mongu, with regular travelling to other project locations (Kaoma, Kalabo, Nalolo)
Contract duration: 1 year contract with the possibility of extension for the duration of the project
Job opening is conditional to approval from project donor
To apply for this job please visit smrtr.io.