The Zambia Institute of Chartered Accountants (ZiCA) is a self-regulated membership body for the accountancy profession in Zambia that was established under the Accountants Act of 1982 and as amended in the Accountant Act of 2008. Its primary mandate is to promote the accountancy profession through the regulation of the accountancy profession and education.
Our Vision Statement
“A world class professional accountancy regulator and educator”
“To uphold the highest professional standards in accountancy education and practice to the satisfaction of stakeholders”
ZICA is regulated and governed by the following ethos and values:-
Virtue, Competence, Integrity, Professionalism, Reliability, Courtesy, Responsiveness and Consistency
POSITION – TECHNICAL OFFICER
The incumbent shall provide technical accounting support to members of the Institute and assist with overall achievement of ZICA’s statutory objectives through contribution to the formulation of standards in the accountancy profession with a view to improving standards in the country in accordance with the Accountants Act of 2008. The incumbent is expected to be sufficiently adaptable and experienced as to allow for reassignment to other tasks, should the needs of the organization require it.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The ideal candidate must able to effectively work in a team environment, prioritize multiple projects and deadlines, have excellent communication and writing skills as well as have strong interests in technical accounting and auditing standards, public-sector financial management and taxation.
Key Responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Prioritize monitoring of Exposure Drafts (EDs) and other consultation papers issued by International Standard-setters and IFAC member bodies;
- Obtain stakeholder feedback, performing research and analysis and developing comments on accounting standards consultation documents;
- Draft comment letters on Exposure Drafts and other discussion documents in consultation with relevant stakeholders and oversee the submission and release of the commentaries of the Institute;
- Support the Technical and Standards Manager in responding to new developments and emerging issues and technical queries regarding implementation of standards.
- Carry out outreach activities through organising Technical updates workshops;
- Monitors the work of accountants to ensure that generally accepted accounting, auditing and assurance standards are upheld as set out in the rules of professional conduct of the Institute;
- Recommend various disciplinary measures against erring professional accountants in order to instil a sense of discipline and adhere to professional and ethical standards;
- Communicates to all practicing accountants in public and private sectors about policy changes in order to raise awareness amongst all accountants;
- Prepare Concept Papers for committee meetings on relevant projects and posting on the ZICA website and;
- Service Committees of the Council and relevant task force meetings.
- Conduct research on topics of interest to the Institute and public. The incumbent is expected to be involved in developing a research plans and proposals as well as conducting research.
- The officer will also serve as a resource and subject matter expert on topics related to public financial management and related policy documents.
- Participate in writing position papers and comment letters to government and Parliament on taxation and various aspects of national economic development.
- Build and maintain relationships with existing stakeholder groups;
- Identify and support opportunities to raise awareness of Accounting and Auditing pronouncements to stakeholder groups;
- Draft articles or engage in outreach activities, as appropriate and;
- Support the development of the Annual Report and reports to the Council and its committees.
- Monitor and manage departmental budget.
- Support the development of the departmental annual work plan in line with strategic plan.
- A member of ZICA with a minimum of three (3) years post qualifying experience;
- ZICA qualified with post qualifying practical training or
- A recognized accounting degree with relevant professional qualification;
- Practical experience in auditing and/or financial reporting;
- Excellent knowledge of issues relating to auditing or other assurance services, professional ethics, International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS) and in-depth knowledge of International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRSs)
- Expert knowledge of tax laws including ability to interpret and analyse tax laws.
- Candidates must demonstrate excellent knowledge of the standard-setting process;
- Excellent communication and presentation skills are critical;
- Excellent technical, organizational and project management skills; and
- Strong computer literacy.
The ideal candidate will possess the following attributes:
- Ability to liaise with members of the accounting profession and other stakeholders;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively in small teams
- Ability to work independently or with minimal supervision
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to prioritize tasks
- Honest and Integrity
The successful applicant will be a self-starter and able to respond quickly to issues. He/she will be willing to travel extensively both locally and outside Zambia.
The Position located at ZICA head office in Lusaka. A Competitive compensation package commensurate with qualifications and experience will be offered to the successful candidates. ZICA is an equal opportunity employer. Interested candidates should submit a resume (CV) and a motivation letter to:
The Chief Executive Officer,
Zambia Institute of Chartered Accountants,
Plot 2374/a Thabo Mbeki Road
Po Box 32005,
Email: [email protected]
Closing date for receiving application is 2nd June, 2017
- ONLY SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED.
- THOSE WHO APPLIED FOR THIS POSITION SHOULD NOT APPLY AGAIN
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org