Website TechnoServe Zambia Limited
Scope of Work: Business Development Services Consultancy
Job Details: Short Term Consultancies
Locations: Multiple – Ethiopia, Kenya, Malawi, Tanzania and Zambia
TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms,
businesses, and industries. We are a non-profit organization that develops business solutions to
poverty by linking people to information, capital, and markets. Our work is rooted in the idea that
given the opportunity, hardworking men and women in even the poorest places can generate income, jobs, and wealth for their families and communities. With more than four decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.
TechnoServe is implementing the USAID funded Alliance for Inclusive and Nutritious Food Processing (AINFP) regional program in collaboration with Partners in Food Solutions (PFS). The program leverages the power of the private sector to create better nutritional outcomes for base-of-the pyramid consumers and more profitable market opportunities for local farmers. This is achieved by supporting local food processing companies in Ethiopia, Kenya, Malawi, Tanzania and Zambia through remote technical assistance and training from world leading food processing companies under PFS to increase the availability of safe, affordable and nutritious food. For more details go to www.ainfp.org/about-us/
Through this Partnership the AINFP program seeks to offer Business Development Services to Food processors in a bid to promote the business case for targeting the Bottom of the Pyramid (BoP) market segment in each of the program countries. This includes both generalized and country specific insights on the most relevant products, packaging, distribution, financial management and marketing channels. The Program seeks to recruit Short-Term consultants in one or more of the following areas:
- Market Consumer insights research
- BOP marketing and last mile distribution
- Access to Finance for Food Processing companies
- Supply Chain Operations
- Marketing and Branding
- Financial Management Systems
- Financial planning and forecasting
- Small holder farmer sourcing and contracting
- Product development and packaging
- Business Planning
- Marketing Strategies
- Sales and sales agent’s networks
Specifically, the Business and Market Experts will:
- Facilitate workshops/webinars to encourage and empower food processing companies to
design business cases and support them to co-create innovations and market propositions.
- Work with individual clients to develop and execute marketing, activation, demand creation
and behavioural change campaigns.
- Support select clients to conduct and analyse the net margin analysis on their product linesand helping them to determine profitability of various line items.
- Work with assigned clients to design and develop marketing and distribution projects targeted at low income consumers.
- Provide mentorship and guidance to select food processors to ensure knowledge adoption and behaviour change leading to profitability.
- Support select Food Processors to create the necessary systems to ensure sustainable
sourcing from small holder farmers and distribution to their target market.
- Provide consumer insight research, interpret research and translate into advice to the food
- Support to monitor (immediate and intermediate) results of various business interventions
and tracking the impact of these activities.
- Support select clients with “thought leadership “on Marketing and Distribution in their
targeted value chain.
- Coach and advise clients on adoption and use of BOP Marketing and distribution principles
- Document the interventions and create a replicable model
REQUIRED TECHNICAL SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree or equivalent in a Business related course and other relevant field or a
Bachelor’s degree with 10+ years of experience
- At least 10 years of relevant professional experience in their field of expertise
- Fluency in English is preferred. Amharic or Swahili (for Ethiopia and Tanzania) is an added advantage
- Excellent oral and written communication skill
- Excellent facilitation and practical training experience in developing countries
- Proven experience in adult learning pedagogy is essential
- Experience working independently and managing/marketing training events
- Experience in Market Systems Facilitation Model (M4P)
- Excellent computer skills
- Self-starter, energetic, and friendly
- Engages people and empowers them to deliver on promises
- Strong networking and relationship building skills
- Maintains integrity and personal reputation
- Willingness for periodic travel countrywide
- Strong interest in development and commitment to TechnoServe’s mission to reduce poverty through business solutions
Deadline for applications: Monday 30 November, 2020
Qualified and interested applicants should submit a PDF Word-formatted single document consisting of:
- Cover Letter specifying area of expertise on the subject line
- CV detailing relevant past assignments undertaken including daily/hourly rate of each of the assignments using the table format below:
name and location
Duration of assignment
Daily/Hourly rate charged by consultant
Submit your application via www.tns.org website.
Please click the apply button below.
Please identify which country the you are applying for on the screening question. We welcome hearing from qualified and interested applicants. Due to a high volume of applicants, please understand that we are only able to contact only those who meet the minimum qualifications. No phone calls.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities