African Parks Zambia
African Parks is a non-profit conservation organization that takes on the complete responsibility for the rehabilitation and long-term management of national parks in partnership with governments and local communities. We currently manage 20 national parks and protected areas in 11 countries covering over 17 million hectares in: Angola, Benin, Central African Republic, Chad, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Malawi, Mozambique, the Republic of Congo, Rwanda, Zambia and Zimbabwe
The Tourism Operations Supervisor (TS) is a key member of the Kafue National Park (KNP) team, playing an integral role as a link between Tourism Management, Finance, Administration and the on the ground tourism operations. Reporting to the Commercial & Enterprise Manager (CoM), the TS’s main responsibility is ensuring that all tourism facilitates and operations meet an international standard of excellence and align with African Parks Networks Standard Operating Procedures. Leadership, communication and eye for detail are integral to the role.
The positions’ responsibilities vary greatly; these include but are not limited to:
- Tourism Operational Management
- Manage all operational aspects of Park Tourism Facilities ensuring high standards are set, met and align with APN SOP
- Closely monitor all Tourism related infrastructure, tools and equipment, and report any faults to the CoM within a reasonable time frame
- Ensure all Tourism Facilities have the necessary tools and equipment to operate effectively
- Implementation of day-to-day operational tasks and special projects as determined by management.
- Oversee the implementation and management of a Park wide reservation and bookings system
- Oversee the access control system to ensure its efficient implementation
- Oversee the provision and sale of KNP Merchandise at Park Facilities and Lodges in KNP
- Assist with African Parks (AP) events as well as Local and Provincial Community events
- Assist with APN and KNP Donor and Special Guest visits, where required
- Assist with the APN and KNP Guide Training program and its implementation
- Tourism Marketing
- Working alongside, the Commercial Manager Special Projects Manager, and APN Marketing Team, develop a marketing strategy to promote KNP
- The implementation of the marketing strategy and the monitoring of its success or needs for improvement
- Promote KNP through the various online and social media platforms in conjunction with responsible managers and APN SOP’s
- Assist in the development of an advertising strategy to promote KNP to local Zambian citizens and residents
- Assist in the development strong industry relationships with the goal to promote KNP centred Circuits
- Develop and grow relationships with local tourism companies, tour operators and agents in order to promote KNP products
- Assist in the designing of marketing material for the use of promoting KNP to possible clients and partners both locally and internationally
- Staff Management and Supervision
- Day to day management of staff under your supervision, setting tasks and overseeing these, ensuring exemplary work standards, maintain staff discipline through the company’s code of conduct and conditions of service, and overseeing general staff related administration
- Liaison with Human Resources to ensure all staff details and documentation is complete and up to date.
- Identifying training needs and implementing in house training
- Works Contractors related to all of the above functions
- Regular reporting, including collection of relevant data and compiling a monthly report of all operations
- Overseeing the Tourism department in the absence of the CoM
- Any further reasonable and lawful request made to you by the CoM or Park Manager
Capabilities, competencies and experience
- A University Degree in either tourism, design or marketing
- Demonstrable combined experience of at least 3 years in tourism or operations
- Driver’s License and off-road driving experience
- Excellent computer skills, with knowledge of Microsoft Packages and online marketing platforms (e.g. facebook, Instagram, twitter etc)
- A social outgoing personality who enjoys working with clients and business partners
- A strong leader, who can persevere, with excellent people management skills and an ability to work with people from diverse cultures and backgrounds
African Parks Zambia is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Applicants for this position must have a clean record and traceable references. Candidates must include a day time contact number.
Interested and qualified candidates must submit their CV with a covering letter describing their suitability for the role. All applicants must include at least 3 contactable references.
Application must be submitted to the Regional Human Resources Manager, by email to [email protected] by 20 May 2023.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview.