USAID DISCOVER - Health Project
JSI Research & Training Institute Limited
JSI Research and Training Institute, Inc. (JSI) is public health organization that is committed to improving the health and well-being of underserved and vulnerable people and communities throughout the world, and to providing an environment where people of passion and commitment can pursue this cause. JSI seeks highly qualified and accomplished public health leaders and staff for its USAID DISCOVER-Health Project. USAID DISCOVER-Health aims to improve the lives of Zambians by ensuring equitable access to and use of high-quality HIV, maternal new-born and child health (MNCH), family planning and reproductive health (FP/RH) services and products at the district and community levels. The project also supports the Government of Zambia (GRZ) efforts to address the global COVID-19 epidemic, including accelerating the national rollout and scale-up of COVID-19 vaccination. During the next three years the project is conducting a technical assistance role to the Ministry of Health (MOH) for the provision of integrated health services whilst assisting GRZ in COVID-19 activities as directed by donor USAID.
JSI USAID DISCOVER Health Project is recruiting for the following position:
Position Title : Hygiene Assistant
Position Type : Full Time
Location : Kitwe (1) ; Kapiri(1)
Reports To : Hub Manager
The Hygiene Assistant will work with clinical staff to ensure that the Clinic or health facility is maintained in aseptic condition, well stocked with surgical supplies, and will also provide assistance, as needed, to clinical staff in a variety of tasks related to infection prevention. The position of Hygiene Assistant performs duties as assigned by MC team lead.
The hygiene assistants must be familiar with Occupational Health and Safety, Surgical instrument processing, Infection prevention /control, Operating room maintenance and Waste Management guidelines.
He or She will provide assistance in positioning clients, disinfecting operating room. In between patients, the Hygiene Assistant cleans, prepares the operating table, removes and cleans clinical waste products – used linen, general waste- and mops the floor as required. He or she ensures that all equipment is appropriately cleaned and returned in a secure store room.
The following lists outline suggested responsibilities and qualifications:
- Ensure cleaning and maintenance of surgical instruments, disinfecting of the operating room during and after operations
- Preparing of disinfection solutions and operating room by setting up the equipment
- Operating the autoclave for sterilizing all surgical instruments necessary for the MC operation
- Maintains aseptic techniques by adhering to national infection prevention procedures
- Maintaining inventory record of all MC surgical equipment and other at the hub.
- Carries out any other duties assigned by the supervisor. Circulates among four operating suites
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Grade 12
- Experience working in a clinical setting, and familiarity with surgical instruments and supplies, preferred
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work well with others, including those from diverse cultural backgrounds
- Willingness and ability to travel and work independently
- Physical fitness and high energy a plus
- Willingness to accept any other reasonable duties, as allocated
- Willingness to work overtime, as required
- Ability to absorb new information quickly and apply new skills with minimal supervision
- Close attention to detail
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, high-pressure, team-oriented environment
- Ability to respond quickly to instruction as well as anticipate coworkers’ needs
- Empathetic, supportive, and professional approach to clients
- Ability to maintain records and maintain the overall cleanliness of the surgical suites
To apply please complete the application form available HERE. Applicants are required to submit a cover letter and CV with three references and full addresses and contact information via the application form. Please send your applications addressed to the “Project Director” USAID DISCOVER-Health Project, Stand 45/D/REM-3-A/377, Warthog Road, Kabulonga, and Lusaka, Zambia.
The closing date for receipt of submission of the applications is Friday 10th March, 2023 @17pm CAT.
Only candidates meeting the minimum requirements will be contacted. If you have not heard from us within 3 weeks after the closing date, kindly assume that your application was not successful.
Relocation Incentive Disclaimer/Waiver
Please note that the relocation incentive does not apply to this position, therefore you shall NOT be eligible for a relocation allowance. In the event that you are the successful candidate and are appointed into the role, you shall be expected to meet all of the relocation costs associated with the assigned post. When the contract expires, the Company shall not repatriate you back to your place of recruitment.
JSI Research & Training Institute Limited is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer committed to workplace diversity. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all qualified applicants and employees without regard to age, race, color, national origin, ancestry, creed, religion, gender, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, sexual preference, genetic information, political affiliation, or military status (special disabled veterans or veteran status) in any employment decisions.
JSI is a child-safe organization, and the safety and well-being of children is a priority of our organization. We have robust recruitment procedures to ensure that all staff are suited to work with the children served by our programs.