WeForest is a fast-growing international non-profit association headquartered in Belgium and with current projects in Brazil, Ethiopia, India, Tanzania, Malawi, Senegal and Zambia. The mission of the organisation is to advance innovative, scalable and lasting solutions to restore forest and landscapes for climate, people and planet. We promote scientific evidence for the ways in which forests contribute to climate change mitigation, beyond their impacts as stocks of carbon, by increasing water availability, enhancing local biodiversity conservation and rural livelihood and resilience.
The Agricultural Extensionist will work in a dynamic team on our objective towards increasing forest cover on small farm holdings through Agroforestry & Sustainable Agriculture, and Sustainable Forest Management of miombo woodlands on farms as a scalable solution for climate mitigation and adaptation, livelihood improvement and gender equitable development. The Agricultural Extensionist will work under the direct supervision of the Project Manager and will have their office base in Mpongwe District with a project catchment area of Mpongwe, Luanshya and Ndola Districts.
1. Deliver agricultural extension services to the local community in the Mpongwe district
2. Conduct socio-economic surveys of the local community in Mpongwe
3. Build the capacity of targeted local communities in agribusiness including farm management and farm record keeping
4. Support the development of alternative livelihoods such as beehive schemes, livestock production, fruit production, vegetable production and crop production
5. Assist in participatory processes to develop village-based land use maps and plans
6. Train the local community in Climate Smart Agricultural Practices such as Conservation Agriculture andAgroforestry and ensure their adoption by farmers
7. Train farmers in the establishment of pine woodlots
8. Co ordinate the setting up of agroforestry satellite nurseries in Mpongwe, Luanshya and Ndola
9. Support the selection and training of Lead Farmers in Conservation Agriculture and Forage Production
10. Co ordinate the establishment and running of demo plots for Conservation Agriculture and Forage Production
11. Co –ordinate the implementation of all livelihood programmes in the local community in Mpongwe.
12. Train and co ordinate the activities of community facilitators in agricultural data collection for baseline surveys and monitoring
13. Mapping of farms under climate smart agriculture and agroforestry
14. Capacity building of farmer associations and co operatives in the project area
15. Prepare field activity progress reports as requested by the Project Manager
16. Communicate directly with the Project Manager amongst others regarding project activities.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Education: Minimum a Diploma in Agriculture or Agroforestry
- Language: Fluent in English (both speaking and writing) and Bemba/Lamba
- Work experience: 2 years’ relevant work experience in the agricultural sector
- Excellent coordination, training and communication skills
- Extensive knowledge of small-scale agribusiness, micro-crediting, agroforestry and horticulture
- Knowledge of nursery management, soil science, animal husbandry and crop science
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills – comfortable working in the field with local communities
- Experience in using QGIS and Kobo will be an added advantage
- Be willing to relocate and live in Mpongwe District.
Terms & Conditions
Position: Full-time employee, 5 or 6 days per week.
Base: Mpongwe, Zambia
Start date: As soon as possible, preferably by 12/06/2023
Package: Competitive package for a small organisation, level 2c salary package
Please send applications to [email protected] with your CV, a motivation letter, and min.3 recent references by 19/05/2023. References must include at least one former employer and one enterprise that you have supported.
Make sure to mention the job title in the subject of the email, and to indicate where you saw the job post. In your motivation letter, we’d love to read about what makes you interested to work with WeForest Zambia and why you think you are best suited. Due to the anticipated high number of applicants, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. We thank you in advance for your interest.