What is social work?
Social workers are responsible for undertaking a number of tasks related to helping people and families with the difficulties that they face. They monitor and assess individuals and families and provide emotional and practical support in order to help them live their lives.
- Social Worker
- Community Officer
- Advice Worker
- Youth Worker
What skills do you need to work as a social worker?
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Effective negotiation skills
- Composure under pressure
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Good record keeping skills
Where do social workers work?
Social workers work in a range of setting including: schools, hospitals, private practice, industry and client homes.
Typical work activities
- Assessing client needs
- Working with children in care
- Providing support to families to enable them to stay together
- Managing adoption and fostering
- Supporting the sick and vulnerable to live independently
- Maintaining client records
Find out more
Watch & Listen