Since 1963 and in 148 countries, ACDI/VOCA has empowered people in developing and transitional nations to succeed in the global economy. Based in Washington, D.C., ACDI/VOCA is a nonprofit international development organization that delivers technical and management assistance in agribusiness, financial services, enterprise development, community development, and food security to promote broad-based economic growth and vibrant civil societies. ACDI/VOCA has approximately 34 projects in 19 countries and total revenues of approximately $128 million.
ACDI/VOCA is currently implementing a five-year program entitled “Enterprise Development and Growth Enhanced (EDGE) Activity” in Zambia funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID). The aim of the Zambia EDGE Activity is to increase the profitability for agricultural small and medium enterprises (SMEs) by addressing their key investment constraints on access to finance, limited business management skills and technology, and access to markets, thereby increasing SMEs’ productivity and ability to create new jobs in Zambia.
Pursuant to its mission, ACDI/VOCA is seeking experienced and talented professionals for the Technical Services and Innovation Specialist position. The position is based in Lusaka and has a main role in developing and implementing the innovation agenda producing results and cost- effective technology for each targeted value chain (VC), as well as the agenda for innovation in best business practices across VCs. The Innovation agenda follows the basic principles of Collaboration, Learning and Adaptation (CLA). The position is expected to work closely with universities, research centers, private sector and other related projects. This position coordinates short-term assignments (STTA) to be provided by ACDI/VOCA’s expert volunteers.
The position is also the Environmental Point of Contact (POC) for the activity. The POC helps implement, monitor and report on the Environmental Mitigation and Monitoring Plan (EMMP) to ensure that the project mitigates negative impacts on the environment, reduces climate risk to EDGE activities, and mitigates climate change.
The employee could be assigned as the POC for some short-term assignments provided by subcontractor Dimagi, a social enterprise focused on making an impact through technology such as cost-effective methods for services, software, or mobile applications to enable SMEs to better manage key business elements such as inventory, record keeping, contract tracking and fulfillment, and outgrower schemes. The employee is expected to collaborate with the SME (Small and Medium Enterprises) component to develop a Micro MBA program for SME senior and middle managers.
- Bachelor’s degree in industrial engineering, business administration, agricultural or environmental science or similar field is required; advanced degree preferred.
- Minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in promoting innovation and or conducting environment-related studies and/or advising on and ensuring compliance with environmental and natural resource conservation.
- Must be familiar with the academia and research organizations of Zambia and the Africa Southern Region.
- Must have in-depth knowledge of country’s climate change and use of renewal energy
- Knowledge of environmental risks presented in agricultural value chains.
- Good knowledge of country’s environmental regulations, international standards, and USAID environmental regulations.
- Capacity of representing ACDI/VOCA effectively to other organizations and stakeholders
- Strong written communication skills, including demonstrated ability to write required documents in a clear, concise, well-organized manner.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and effectively present information, respond to questions before public groups, and model positive professional attitude. Superior presentation and communication skills, both written and oral.
- Ability and willingness to travel at least 25% of the time
- Advanced computer skills in a Windows based environment including Word, Outlook, PowerPoint and Excel
- Fluency in written and spoken English required
Please submit a resume to [email protected] no later than November 19, 2020. Please include the position title in the subject line. The resume and related application documents shall be provided as a single attachment and list long-term employment history and any relevant short-term consulting work. Due to the high volume of applications we are not able to respond to inquiries via phone or email. Only shortlisted candidates considered for an interview will be contacted. ACDI/VOCA is an equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities and people from diverse groups are encouraged to apply.