At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
To perform all, refractory, acid proofing and civil, installation and maintenance work. That will include but not be limited to bricklaying, casting, ramming and gunning, carpentry, scaffolding work and drilling PSC tuyere holes.
- This position will be required to adhere to all relevant requirements, policies, procedures and legal regulations pertaining to health, safety, environment and quality, as well as finance, human resources, and any other regulations as required by the company and relevant to the level of the role and responsibilities of the function.
- Demolish and re-build refractory lined furnaces, vessels, ladles and launders, according to design drawings, adhering to the supplier’s preparation and installation guidelines
- Demolish and install acid resistant linings
- Demolish and build/cast civil structures
- Be responsible for cleaning, regular inspection and safe storage of mason tools and equipment (amongst others, mixers, gunning machines, cutting machines, brick supporting jacks, forklift machines, jack hammers, hand tools, etc.)
- Be able to safely and productively operate all mason tools and equipment
- Perform basic rigging including slinging of equipment and crane hand signalling (to crane drivers)
- Use hoist’s (hand chain and pendant control operations) for lifting and placement of associated steel-casings, -formers, refractory materials and equipment
- Be aware of cost and contribute to achieve maximum business benefit by being productive, proactive and keeping waste to a minimum
- Will be responsible for the assistants that are assigned to help him/her with a task
- Perform all tasks as instructed by the supervisor
- Report work progress and any bottlenecks to the supervisor and complete job cards on time
- Minimum of a Grade 12 Certificate
- Refractory bricklayer apprenticeship (minimum 2 years) and trade certificate from a recognised institution
- A minimum of 5 years relevant experience as a Refractory Bricklayer in a Smelter environment
- Ideally- Knowledge of repairing fibre glass vessels and ducting
- Ideally- Basic fitting experience (bolting, and fixing, etc.)
- Ideally molten metal and acid plant experience
- Ability to read and interpret technical drawings