At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
Reporting to the Business Improvement Manger, the Business Improvement Specialist leads the allocated resources for the functional department to develop and implement sustainable continuous business improvement across the mine value chain. This is achieved by using the continuous improvement tools and processes implemented by the Business Improvement Department.
Provides; guidance, mentoring, training, analytical and leadership support to Departmental CI Facilitators and CI Project idea owners on the measuring and tracking of the success of ideas, generated through the company’s CI process.
The holder of this position will be required to adhere to all relevant requirements, policies, procedures and legal regulations pertaining to health, safety, environment and quality, as well as finance, human resources, and any other regulations as required by the company and relevant to the level of the role and responsibilities of the function.
- Directs the development of appropriate templates, tools and procedures for business improvement to assist with the implementation, maintenance and enhancement of improvements across site
- Assists with the development and implementation of effective processes of managing and tracking these procedures for sustainability and enhancement.
- Submits reports e.g. the weekly general management reviews, weekly RARs and the daily work-plan reviews
- Minimise work area costs through the identification and elimination of non-value adding work process and elimination of waste.
- Maintain high standards of performance and processes in accordance
- Ensures the development and delivery of effective training on core business improvement, tools and systems.
- Ensures that Department personnel receive appropriate support in the management/ implementation of continues improvement initiatives.
- Ensures that Department personnel have a clear understanding of the value creation process (and/or value destruction risks) in the department i.e. how does management add / destroy value.
- Provides the lead in developing work-plans for continuous improvement for core production and support services department and processes.
- Supports all owners of variances and coach owners to ensure effective explanation and actions.
- Identify inconsistencies between the KPI’s of individuals in the department and improvement objectives and advise the Head of Department (HOD) how these might be improved
- Work co-operatively with others and ensure team effectiveness.
- Ensure all induction and refresher training programmes include exposure to operational excellence and continuous improvement principles, processes and practices.
- Ensure that all team members have a clear understanding of their role and accountability related to operational excellence and continuous improvement
- Ensure that all team members have a clear understanding on how operational excellence and continuous improvement relate to the performance management process.
Analysis, data maintenance initiative evaluation
- Participate in the idea generating process, providing support through facilitation, co-ordination of ideas, and the evaluation (analysis) of ideas.
- Provide quantifiable results to idea owners.
- Support idea owners, to ensure timely implementation of ideas.
- Provide rapid and timely communications of key physicals and counter-physicals to facilitate the rapid optimisation/halting of ideas.
- Provide support for the permanent measurement and review of KPIs, cascaded though the organisation.
- Provide support for the continuous analysis and updating of performance targets and visual boards cascaded though the organisation.
- Maintain KPI Database and BI tools and templates database in PIPWare and any other tools, used to support BI process.
- Updates visual board charts to support department’s meetings.
- Other duties as directed by the Business Improvement Manager.
- A degree in Geosciences, Mining, Metallurgy or any Engineering Discipline will be considered essential.
- Qualifications and experience in Finance and Cost Accounting is considered advantageous
- 5-8 years in a Technologist/Technician role with supervisory or consulting experience is considered essential.
- Previous experience in the successful use of “Lean 6 Sigma” or other similar business improvement methodologies, is considered essential
- Experience in the mining, resources or manufacturing industry is considered desirable.
- Consulting experience as a business improvement specialist is considered advantageous
- Bold initiative
- Thinking safely
- Upholding quality
- Technical Skill
- Driving quantity
- Driving attendance
- Develop BI templates, tools and procedures for use in the Department.
- Submit BI reports to department HOD and central BI Department.
- Conduct analysis of significant variances of BI project work-plans and KPIs.
- Align individual KPI’s to department business improvement initiatives.
- Develop training material and present BI training.
- Quantifiable results and reports.
- Maintains department KPI database.
- Maintains department level aspects of the PIPWare system.
To apply for this job please visit firstquantumcareers.com.