Plan International Zambia
Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian non-governmental organization that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We have been building powerful partnerships for children for 80 years, and are now active in more than 70 countries.
We believe in the power and potential of every child. But this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination. And its girls who are most affected. Working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners, we strive for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges facing girls and all vulnerable children. Child protection is key in all that we do.
Working in Zambia since 1996, Plan International Zambia’s development and humanitarian programmes focus primarily on Inclusive Quality Education, Skills and Opportunities for Youth Employment and Entrepreneurship, Sexual Reproductive Health and Rights, Early Childhood Development and Gender Responsive Child Protection. Plan International Zambia has Programme Areas (PAs) in; Central, Luapula, and Eastern Provinces including in Lusaka, where the Country Office is located.
Plan International Zambia is looking for experienced, innovative, motivated and self-starter individuals to fill the following positions:
COMMUNICATIONS COORDINATOR (X1) – LUSAKA – 2 YEARS CONTRACT
The Communications Coordinator is responsible for the communication processes in line with the Country Strategy and Communications Strategy to ensure high brand visibility and positioning of Plan International Zambia as a girl go to Organisation. The role will communicate the purpose, mission, and activities of Plan International Zambia to key stakeholders (internally and externally) including partners, donors, sponsors and government through employing relevant communication channels.
The incumbent will be reporting to the Head of Programs with a dotted line to the Country Director.
- Responsible for the design, formulation, management, execution, monitoring and evaluation of a development communications for social mobilization strategy, plan of action and programme activities in support of the country strategy.
- She/he directly supervises the Communications Officer(s).
- Contribute to the development and delivery of creative and strategic media and communications work to support organisational objectives at country level.
- Expert knowledge of traditional and new media to manage the delivery of messages to both internal and external audiences, assessing the reputational risks and advising on opportunities.
- Develop culturally relevant programme communication materials designed, pre-tested, and produced timely, meeting requirements and Plan International’s program quality and branding standards.
- Initiate and manage strong partnerships with community groups, leaders and other partners in the community and civil society developed and enhanced for promotion of participation in social mobilization activities that are supportive of programme outcomes.
- Provide technical support effectively to government and civil society counterparts in the development and effective use of communication for social development.
- Serve in an advisory role for Core Leadership Team (CLT) on communications and brand issues.
- In collaboration with program technical leads, the Communication Coordinator designs, manages and facilitates the implementation of a communication strategy and plans of action aiming at project beneficiaries, donors, government and the general public to achieve a) behavior development/change at individual/household levels; (b) social mobilization of civil society organizations; and (c) increased community participation in development programmes for positive social change.
- Support the development of sound country level strategies and plans which efficiently profile the importance of Plan’s programme, gender transformation and influencing priorities.
- Makes viable recommendations on operational strategies in the areas of participatory communication, social mobilization and on appropriate materials and media to reach target audiences.
- Support the M&E team in ensuring Knowledge Management and Documentation.
- Implement a national media strategy aligned to Country Strategy aligned to the global strategy, to deliver high impact media coverage in national markets
- Support media work on major humanitarian emergencies to manage media. enquiries and link with relevant spokespersons as appropriate.
- Implement a national media strategy aligned to Country Strategy aligned to the global strategy, to deliver high impact media coverage in national markets.
- Gather internal knowledge and transform it into exciting and useful messages, and disseminate it to the right audiences through identification of the most effective distribution channels.
- Produce high quality materials including information packs, opinion pieces, power point presentations, press releases, speeches and talking points, opinion pieces, news reactions, photos, blogs, annual reports, newsletters, video and multimedia content.
- Provide technical support and mentoring as well as on the job training to a network of communications focal points/staff in the country.
- Support stakeholder identification and mapping to feed into a comprehensive stakeholder engagement strategy.
- Manage Plan International’s internal communications for the country office, exploring new ways to get messages across using social media and online platforms.
- Create and manage content for Plan International’s Zambia website content and social media accounts.
- Ensures that Plan International’s global policies for Safeguarding of Children & Young People and Gender Equality and Inclusion (GEI) are fully embedded in accordance with the principles and requirements of the policy including relevant Implementation Standards and Guidelines as applicable to their area of responsibility.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Advanced university degree in Social Sciences with emphasis on strategic communication planning for social change, participatory communication, and research.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to communicate complicated and technical issues in a concise and clear way, to a wide range of target audiences.
- Demonstrated experience of the key responsibilities, including working with media, delivering communications strategies, managing internal communications, knowledge of digital media, and creating networks
- A track record of achieving results and strategic impact on communications and media and in building capacity for teams to deliver
- 5 years work experience in a similar role.
- Development communication experience is an added advantage.
- Must show demonstrable impact in using communications as a tool for social change.
- Familiarity with the social, political and economic context of the Zambian region, and its humanitarian and development issues.
- Demonstrated and considerable experience of working with international media, communications or public relations roles.
- Fluency in English
- Experience of working with international NGOs and understanding of a rights-based approach
- Excellent analytical and critical thinking skills, including ability to find, absorb, analyse and prioritise information from many different sources, and proven experience of strategy development.
- Ability to work under pressure, to tight deadlines, with competing priorities and minimal supervision.
- Ability to travel – sometimes at short notice and to humanitarian crisis areas.
- Excellent inter-personal skills and ability to work in multi-national, multi-cultural teams, flexible and ability to adapt easily.
To apply, kindly send through your application letter, copies of qualifications and CV, indicating day time telephone and/or mobile contacts clearly stating the job title of interest to [email protected]. Kindly note that only candidates who meet the above specifications and competencies should apply. Applications should reach the undersigned not later than Friday, 25th November, 2022, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The Country Human Resource Manager
Plan International Zambia
Private Bag 518X
Plot 87A Kabulonga Road
Plan International provides equal employment opportunities to qualified and experienced women and men, Women are especially encouraged to apply. Early application is encouraged as we will review applications throughout the advertising period and reserve the right to close the advert early.