EDUCATION DEVELOPMENT CENTER (EDC)
EDC is one of the world’s leading nonprofit research and development firms. Established in 1958, EDC designs, delivers and evaluates innovative programs to address some of the world’s most urgent challenges in education, health, and economic opportunity. Our services include research, training, educational materials, and strategy, with activities ranging from seed projects to large-scale national and international initiatives.
EDC is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion in the workplace.
The USAID Let’s Read Zambia project is a 6-year project funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) and implemented by the Education Development Center (EDC). USAID Let’s Read Zambia works to improve reading outcomes for children attending pre-primary (kindergarten) through to Grades 3 and provide professional development for teachers to support reading interventions in Zambian public and community schools.
Drivers/General Administrative Assistants (DGAA) will be responsible for transporting and providing basic administrative support to the staff of the EDC/Zambia offices in support of project activities and programs. DGAA will ensure that project vehicles are maintained, that they are in good operational condition at all times and also in smooth running of administrative work at office or other EDC events. The DGAA will work under the supervision of the Logistics Officer and Office Manager.
Driver/General Administrative Assistant will be required to perform the following duties:
Driving related work:
- Provide transportation for project staff in a safe and timely manner
- Coordinate with direct supervisor to ensure the most urgent tasks are prioritized on a daily basis
- Coordinate with travel teams on best routes for trips based on road and traffic conditions.
- Complete Vehicle Daily Checklist and Vehicle Log each day for the vehicle for which the Driver is responsible
- Ensure passengers wear seat belts all the time.
- Ensure that routine minor maintenance of car is carried out including, but not limited to;
- Changing oil, keeping fluids filled to appropriate levels and windshield wipers are in working
- Order in coordination with the Logistics Officer in the Lusaka Office, and the Administration and Finance Officers in the Provincial Offices.
- Provide information required to complete the monthly Fuel Consumption Report for the vehicle in coordination with the Logistics Officer and Office Manager.
- Ensure that each vehicle is cleaned both inside and outside on a daily basis.
- Ensure that assigned vehicle is completely equipped with a First Aid Kit, spare tire, working flashlight and batteries, vehicle jack, wheel brace and a tool kit (spanner, wrench, tire, patch kit, etc.)
- Ensure that vehicle safety and security equipment are working properly and that vehicles procedures outlined in the project policies and procedures are followed.
- Conduct these and other tasks as required in support of project goals
Administrative related work
- Assisting undertaking photocopying work at the office
- Assist in organizing and setting up venues & taking photos at events (workshops, trainings etc.
- Where applicable with guidance from AFO or Accountant, assist to make payments of allowances at workshops or collect the necessary information to facilitate payment of such allowances by the office.
- Under the guidance of the AFOs / Accountant, assist in getting quotations, delivering payments to vendors and collecting receipts.
- Assist in making lodge/ hotel reservations for visitors to the province.
- Work with supervisor to ensure the vehicle has all the necessary operational papers (insurance and road worthiness certificate, as applicable).
- Report all scheduled vehicle servicing to the supervisor in time
Reporting and Organizational Relationships:
The Driver/General Administrative Assistant reports to the Logistics Officer and Office Manager.
- High school education desirable
- Post-secondary school qualification: CILT, Mechanics etc.
Skills and Experience:
- Minimum of 5 years driving and minimum two years administrative work experience
- Hold a valid driver’s license
- Good knowledge of vehicle mechanics and able to conduct minor repairs as required
- Experience with USAID or other donor-funded projects
- Basic computer skills, a plus
- Must be able to work within a cross cultural setting, negotiate diplomatically, and function well under pressure
- Culturally astute, respectful and tolerant with excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work hands-on, independently, and within team in difficult work environment
- Willingness to frequently travel to Zambian provinces covered by the project
Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of (and proficiency in) Chinyanja, Chitonga, Silozi, Lunda, Luvale, Kiikaonde and Icibemba languages highly preferred.
Job closing date: February 3 2023
To apply, Applicants are encouraged to send their application and CV to SmartRecruiters Careers Page.
Applications submitted without a resume or CV will not be reviewed.
EDC is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to enhancing the diversity of its workforce and ensuring an equitable and highly inclusive work environment. EDC is a smoke-free workplace, and offers a supportive work environment, competitive salary, and excellent benefits. Women, minorities, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.smartrecruiters.com.