REPUBLIC OF ZAMBIA
MINISTRY OF FINANCE
RURAL FINANCE EXPANSION PROGRAMME
IFAD Loan No. 2000000429-ZM
Spanish Fund Loan No. 2000000430-ZM
REQUEST FOR EXPRESSION OF INTEREST
RUFEP/CS/ONS/004/2020: REQUEST FOR EXPRESSION OF INTEREST TO CONDUCT A CASE STUDY ON RUFEP’S IMPACT ON AGRICULTURAL PRODUCTIVITY
1. The Government of the Republic of Zambia (GRZ) and the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) jointly established the Rural Finance Expansion Programme (RUFEP) under the Ministry of Finance (MoF). The development goal of RUFEP is to improve livelihoods of the rural poor through sustainable economic growth. To achieve this, the programme aims to increase access to, and use of, sustainable financial services by rural men, women and youth in Zambia. RUFEP targets up to 140,000 households consisting of men, women and youth in rural areas of the 10 provinces through improved access to financial services. At least 50% of the target are expected to be women and 25% youth. The Financing Agreement for RUFEP between GRZ, IFAD and the Spanish Food Security Facility Trust Fund (SFSFTF) was signed on 22 nd July 2014. The Ministry of Finance (MoF)’s Investment and Debt Management Department is the Lead Programme Agency and has overall responsibility for the implementation of the Programme. The Programme design of RUFEP has three Components: (i) Strategic Partnerships, (ii) Innovation and Outreach Facility (IOF) and Knowledge Management and Programme Implementation. RUFEP’s Programme Coordination Office (PCO) is established under the Knowledge Management and Programme Implementation Component to coordinate the implementation of the programme objectives by providing financial and technical support to Strategic Partners and IOF implementing partners.
2. RUFEP’s Innovation and Outreach Facility (IOF) provides matching grants to implementing partners through the three windows. Potential implementing partners submit, Concept Notes and Project proposals to directly implement projects in rural areas aimed at increasing access to financial services by the rural people on behalf of RUFEP. By June 2020, RUFEP signed a total of 44 matching grants with implementing partners under the three windows of the Innovation and Outreach Facility (IOF).
- The first Window is Community Based Financial Institutions Linkages (CBFIs) Window. Under the CBFI linkages Window, RUFEP has been providing support to CBFI Promoters through the IOF matching grants to link rural based savings groups to formal Financial Services Providers (FSPs) to increase rural financial inclusion. By June 2020, eleven (11) projects have so far been supported to build linkages between CBFIs and formal Financial Services Providers (FSPs) to enhance financial inclusion.
- The Second Window is Agency and Mobile Banking Window. By June 2020, RUFEP had financed 22 projects under the Agency and Mobile Banking Window II of the IOF to promote innovations focused on the use of Digital Financial Services (DFS) such as mobile banking and payment solutions, rural asset financing, off-grid energy delivery and payment platforms.
- The Third Window of the IOF is Rural Finance Equity and Innovation Window. By June 2020, a total of 11 projects were funded under the Rural Finance Equity and Innovation Window III for research and innovative pilot projects aimed to promote access to financial services from the equity perspective.
3. The Ministry of Finance intends to hire an Individual Consultant to conduct a case study on RUFEP’S Impact on Agricultural Productivity. Specifically, the Consultant is expected to:
i) Provide an appropriate approach or methodology to conduct at least three case studies on selected partner’s interventions under the IOF taking into account the COVID-19 situation;
ii) Review existing documents and current reports at RUFEP, and implementing partners;
iii) Assess the extent to which overall programme implementation had an impact on agricultural productivity particularly on the target beneficiaries including gender aspects;
iv) Select at least three Case studies under the IOF to showcase and document best practices of promoting increased agricultural productivity as a cross-cutting issue by RUFEP; and
v) Define the unit/s of analysis for the case studies and conduct the study using appropriate methodologies for Data collection and analysis taking into account the COVID-19 situation.
4. Experience: She/he must have:
i) The Individual Consultant should have the necessary qualifications in any of the following fields; Agricultural Sciences, Agricultural Economics, Economics, Development Studies or any other related field;
ii) Minimum of Master’s Degree with at least five years’ experience in Research and Development particularly in Agricultural Sciences, Agricultural Economics, Economics, Development Studies or any other related field;
iii) Proven experience of not less than 5 years in Research Design, Data Analysis and Report Writing;
iv) Evidence of any similar studies undertaken would be an added advantage; and
v) Excellent communication and writing skills.
5. The duration is anticipated to take fifty (50) man days.
6. This assignment shall be undertaken in Lusaka, Zambia. Workspace shall be provided by RUFEP.
7. The proposal submission should include the technical (Envelope 1) and financial proposal (Envelope 2):
i) A Technical proposal with
- Proposed approach and methodology
- CV and summary of qualifications
- Demonstrated similar experience summary
- Timelines (workplan)
ii) Financial Proposal with Costs (including travel requirements)
8. Selection of the Individual Consultant: A consultant will be selected in accordance with Zambia Public Procurement Regulations and IFAD Project Procurement Guidelines & Handbook, “Selection and employment of Consultants” which are available on http://www.zppa.org.zm and http://www.ifad.org, respectively.
9. Expressions of Interest should be submitted to the address below by Monday, 31 st August 2020 at 10:30hrs in a sealed Envelope labelled “RUFEP/CS/ONS/004/2020: REQUEST FOR EXPRESSION OF INTEREST TO CONDUCT A CASE STUDY ON RUFEP’S IMPACT ON AGRICULTURAL PRODUCTIVITY”.
10. Interested consultants may obtain further information at the address below during office hours from 09:00 to 17:00hours (Monday to Friday).
11. The address(es) referred to above are:
(i) For Clarification/Queries
Rural Finance Expansion Programme
Unit 2, Ground Floor, Mount Building Thabo Mbeki Road, P.O. Box 51061, Lusaka
Tel: +260 211 254 613
Email: [email protected], Cc [email protected] and [email protected]
(ii) For Submission Procurement Specialist
Head – Procurement and Supplies Unit
2 nd Floor, Middle Wing, Room 105, Ministry of Finance, Chimanga Road, Ridgeway, P.O. Box 50062, Lusaka
Tel: +260 211 252 653,
Fax: +260 211 252 653
Sylvia Sichone (Ms.)
Head – Procurement and Supplies Unit
For/The Permanent Secretary – Economic Management and Finance (EMF)
MINISTRY OF FINANCE
First Issue Date: 17 th August, 2020