World Vision Zambia (WVZ) Limited is a faith-based Organization dealing with Relief aid, Development, and Advocacy dedicated to working with children, families, and communities to overcome poverty and injustice. WVZ is part of World Vision International and serves all people regardless of religion, race, tribe, or gender. We are currently working on 38 large-scale programs in over 30 districts in Zambia.
Position: Finance Director
Reporting to: The National Director
Location: Lusaka, Zambia
Purpose of the Position: Provide overall leadership, oversight, and management support for all aspects of financial management in the National Office (NO). This position is seen as a strategic partner, a member of the Senior Management/Leadership Team of the National Office. The role focuses on ensuring accountability, stewardship, coordinating planning and budgeting processes, providing accurate financial data analysis and advice, and developing a financial strategy that best serves the NO strategic and program objectives. Responsible for the finance staff capacity strengthening, the development and implementation of good internal controls, risk management, and utilization and safeguarding of assets according to World Vision approved policies and procedures.
1. Leadership, Capacity Development, and Strategic Partnering
- Provide strong and positive leadership to the finance department, ensuring competent and motivated staff are hired and retained, providing efficient delivery of services.
- Coordinate professional and personal development of finance staff through adequate orientation, on-the-job coaching, identification of learning, training needs and opportunities (e.g., in accounting, SAP Systems, grant management, risk management, leadership, etc.); and succession planning.
- Model Christ-centered servant leadership and support the spiritual development of his/her team.
- Actively participate in the NO Senior Management/ Leadership team meetings.
- Attend and actively participate in strategic regional meetings.
- Facilitate National Director (ND), Operations, Board, and other non-finance staff in understanding and interpretation of financial statements.
- Ensure partnership finance policies and procedures are understood by Senior Management, Operations/Technical staff, Communities, Local Partners, and Board, as appropriate.
- Develop strong networks internally (other NOs, Support Offices (SOs), and partnership entities) and externally (other NGOs, banking entities, communities, etc.) through effective communication, relationships, and twin citizenship.
- Promote shared resource networks within the region and the partnership.
- Adhere to World Vision International (WVI) key policy documents – mission, core values, and covenant of partnership.
- Participate and contribute as a member of the Senior Leadership Team,
- Ensure adequate cost efficiency and effectiveness measures are in place and are being followed through:
- Providing cost analysis, promoting benchmarks, and making recommendations for determining effective resource utilization at all levels.
- Contributing to the development of appropriate policies and procedures for procurement of goods and services, collaborating with the Supply Chain team.
3. Financial Planning and Budgeting
- In collaboration with other NO Directors, advise the ND on strategic resource acquisition and allocation in line with Regional Working Group /Virtual Investment Review (RWG/VIR) recommendations approved by the Regional Leader.
- Coordinate the planning and budgeting process and provide technical support to ensure global and regional guidelines are met.
- Review the alignment of budgets between National Office, projects, grants, MyPBAS, and support Offices.
- Control of NO budget, cash flow, and project funding by providing timely and relevant information to budget managers, in collaboration with the Operations Leader.
- Contribute to the development of World Vision NO strategic direction and priorities.
4. Fiscal accounting, compliance, monitoring, and reporting
- Design and manage systems, policies, and procedures that provide appropriate levels of security and control of World Vision assets, resources, and operations.
- Coordinate the submission of timely, accurate, and complete relevant reporting to the partnership and internal users.
- Define and implement efficient and effective internal control systems.
- Adhere to partnership policies, procedures, and guidelines as stipulated in the WVI Financial Manual and other documents, including – but not limited to: grant compliance, planning & budgeting, year-end closing, carryforward, accounting, and reporting.
- Coordinate the timely and accurate submission of financial reports in Notes Field Financial Reporting (FFR) database.
- Review the reconciliation of MyPBAS to FFR monthly with an action plan for addressing outstanding items.
- Provide regular analysis of Area Programmes/Grant financial reports and timely feedback to ADP/Grant managers for decision making
- Ensure NO Finance staff visits Programs/Projects to monitor accountability issues, follow up on the implementation of audit findings, and provide support as needed.
- Oversee timely conduct of Statutory and internal audits
- Present financial statements to boards/ AC members
5. Financial Risk Management and Controls
- Manage appropriate financial systems and controls and ensure they are in place to avoid significant finance audit risk ratings, both at the NO and project levels.
- Coordinate management responses to finance audits performed to the NO and projects; ensure they are sent on time to the Audit Department; and that finance-related audit recommendations are implemented timely at all levels.
- Coordinate adequate preparation for Global Centre and external audits.
- Manage Financial Risk.
- Implement anti-corruption and fraud strategies.
6. Business Systems and Technology
- Ensure implementation of Information Technology (IT) strategy in Zambia
- Oversee development of IT policies and implementation of IT systems.
- Safeguard IT assets, review acquisition, and disposal of assets.
- Guide implementation of cybersecurity policies.
- Ensure capacity building of IT teams.
- Manage IT cost-effectiveness initiatives and cost-sharing.
- Ensure adequate IT budget are provided.
- Monitors IT risks
- Perform other duties as required
Qualifications: Education/Knowledge/Technical Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration, or a related field
- MBA in Finance, MSC in Finance/Accounting/Auditing preferred
- ACCA, CIMA, CPA, CISA or equivalent is preferred
- Minimum of Three Years supervisory experience in Finance and Accounting
- Experience managing statutory and donor audits
- Five experience working in the NGO sector dealing with multiple donor funds and meeting different donor reporting requirements
- Demonstrated high proficiency levels of computerized accounting systems, preferably SAP Systems
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to present information clearly and concisely in writing or verbally, with excellent written and spoken English
- Ability to create and maintain finance systems and filing.
- Able to prioritize own and others work to meet tight work deadlines
- Member of ICAM
- Computer skills
- Experience in monitoring budgets and systems development.
- Experience in using Sun systems accounting package
- Experience in financial management
- Experience in managing donor relationships/financial reporting
- Good planning and organizational skills
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with all levels of staff and public
- The position requires ability and willingness to travel up to 30% of the time.
“World Vision Zambia is committed to the protection of children and adult beneficiaries from all forms of abuse and sexual exploitation. All employment is conditional upon the successful completion of all applicable background checks, including criminal record checks”.
Applications will close by 15th January 2021. Only those who meet the requirements will be contacted.
Women are strongly encouraged to apply; ONLY shortlisted candidates will be contacted!