Website Healthy Learners
School Health for a Brighter Future
Healthy Learners is an award-winning non-profit organization committed to improving the health of children in Zambia and beyond. Healthy Learners is achieving this through our unique model of school-based community health by training teachers in community health care and making schools entry points into the public healthcare system. We currently serve over 500,000 students across Lusaka, Choma, Ndola and Kitwe, Kabwe and Solwezi, where we are working with the Zambian government to scale nationally. Visit: www.healthylearners.com
Healthy Learners is continuing to grow and expand in Zambia and is seeking to recruit the services of qualified talented and dedicated professionals to fill the position of Program Mentors (6).
We are looking for talented, self-driven, and dedicated Program Mentors for our site locations. The Program Mentors are responsible for support in implementation and monitoring of the school health program and to provide mentorship and technical support to implementing partners (e.g. classroom teachers, school administrators and health facility staff). A strong candidate should be passionate for the mission of Healthy Learners and have a great work ethic, high energy, excellent verbal communication skills and experience in clinical care. The job will require the successful candidate to spend the majority of his/her time in the field at partner schools.
POSITION: PROGRAM MENTOR – (2) LUSAKA (1) KABWE, (1) CHOMA (1) MONZE AND (1) MAZABUKA : FULL TIME
The Program Mentor will be reporting to the Program Coordinator.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Monitor implementation of the school health programme and identify technical support needs
- Review data, reports and performance action plans for schools
- Observe the performance of school health teachers and provide technical support and mentorship on topics including, but not limited to, the following:
- Clinical assessments (including bedside manner and use of ThinkMD)
- Drug distribution
- Health Room management
- Health Education
- Implementation of the Buddy System
- Support school administrators, school health teachers and other classroom teachers to implement improvement strategies
- Provide one-to-one mentorship to school health teachers, encouraging those that are performing well and supporting those experiencing challenges.
- Prepare daily write-ups of site-visits to document key observations recommendations made, and plans for follow-up
- Inform the program coordinator and/or responsible program officer of any challenges and advise if a meeting with the school administrator is necessary
- Support monthly mentorship meetings and other programme activities for teachers, school admin and health facility staff as required
- Work with the Program’s department to provide technical support to school health mentors in order to strengthen their mentorship skills and understanding of the program
KEY QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS AND COMPETENCES
- Minimum Diploma in a clinical practice field (e.g. nursing, environmental health, public health)
- At least 3 years’ experience working in a clinical setting (e.g. clinic, hospital)
- Willingness to travel, & spend time in communities at different schools and program locations
- Possess driver’s license, a motorbike driver’s license or willingness to learn is a plus
- Strong consistent partner focus philosophy and able to relate well stakeholders
- High degree of humility and emotional intelligence
- Ability to convey a professional and positive attitude with a courteous and efficient manner.
- Excellent oral communication skills with the ability to clearly and effectively deliver feedback.
- Great interpersonal communication skills; including report writing ,facilitation and conflict resolution skills, with ability to relate well with educators, health workers and members of the community
- Ability to explain issues and requirements in simple terms
- Well organized and consistent in setting priorities and meeting realistic deadlines
- Proven ability to work with limited supervision
- Effective time management and project management skills
- An interest in and the ability to mentor on health and other programme related matters
How to Apply: Send your detailed CV which includes three referees, qualification certificates and cover letter that states why you think you should be selected for this job, to; The People and Culture Manager, Lusaka,
Closing date: 20th January 2023.