HLB Zambia (On Behalf of Morehouse School of Medicine)
Our client, Morehouse School of Medicine, is looking for an eligible and qualified individual to fill the position of Health Information System Developer/ Consultant (HISD).
The Morehouse School of Medicine (MSM) is a Historically Black College and University (HBCU) based in Atlanta, Georgia, USA and is part of the HBCU Global Health Consortium (GHC). The HBCU GHC consists of four historically black colleges and universities (HBCUs) in the United States: MSM, Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science (CDU), Meharry Medical College (MMC), and Howard University (HU). Funded by the US President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) through the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA), HIV/AIDS Bureau, Division of Global HIV Programs, the HBCU GHC project is a multi-year initiative. The HBCU GHC was established to develop and implement strategies to address the social determinants and health inequalities found within the context of the clinical transformation that will enhance and improve the provision of HIV/AIDS services in Lusaka, Zambia.
The overall aim of the MSM project in Zambia is to improve patient outcomes by addressing the 95-95-95 cascade and improve HIV testing rates, patient retention, anti-retroviral treatment and viral load testing/ reporting through: 1.) Clinic Workflow Re-design 2.) Optimizing Referral Systems for better Care Coordination, and 3.) Utilizing Digital Technology to improve Data Management. The Project is being implemented in Chilenje, Chawama, Kanyama, and Matero First Level Hospitals in Lusaka, Zambia.
This is a Lusaka based position and applicants can be individuals or a firm. The selected candidate will be hired as a contractor/ consultant with the option of the position being converted into a full-time position depending on future project needs (individuals). All materials and applications developed under this role will be the property of the Ministry of Health (MOH), the SmartCare Implementing Partner, and the Morehouse University School of Medicine.
The Health Information System Developer/ Consultant (HISD) will assume a leadership position for overseeing and managing MSM’s efforts to contribute to the improvement of the Electronic Health Record (EHR) SmartCare system to improve the use of clinical data in service delivery. S/He will be a dynamic, energetic, highly organized and experienced individual who will be responsible for coordination between the SmartCare implementing partner in Zambia, MOH and other relevant implementing partners. S/he will oversee the project implementation and management and working with the MSM staff at the health facilities. The successful candidate must demonstrate a proven track record in establishing and delivering successful methodologies and expertise at the program level. S/He should have experience in the development and implementation of large scale multi-faceted electronic health systems, use of project management tools and a proven track record for fostering collaborative work environments, able to mentor all levels of the project implementation staff and demonstrate excellent leadership, diplomatic, and conflict resolution skills. The successful candidate will have strong technical experience with respect to understanding and translating system-wide and end-user requirements into practical solutions.
The tasks listed below are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all inclusive.
SQL Code Development and Implementation
- Design, develop and maintain database business processes and SmartCare database applications to allow facility-based staff to run SQL scripts to extract data from the SmartCare relational database to support project implementation activities
- Develop SQL codes to extract data from SmartCare and routinely monitor backend changes to SmartCare data tables to make sure developed SQL codes are valid
- Create necessary technical and architectural documentation
- Support implementation of SmartCare database SQL codes and database objects at the site-level in collaboration with the SmartCare
- Develop SmartCare SQL script development training course including curriculum and associated training materials
- Provide ongoing training to in-country teams on how to develop SQL codes and applications
- Actively identify training, education and development activities to improve in-country team’s knowledge and performance to sustain and enhance professional development
- Collaborate with SmartCare implementing partners (IPs) to conduct needs analysis for the development of new systems and/or the modification of existing systems from a database perspective to improve clinical data capture and reporting
- Collaborate with SmartCare IPs to plan and coordinate systems integration and data migrations between systems related to SmartCare
- Maintain and develop database documentation, including entity relationship diagram and database schemas for SmartCare as required by IPs, MOH, and Morehouse School of Medicine
- Adhere to security schemes as outlined by IPs, MOH, and Morehouse School of Medicine relating to the database and ensure the integrity and security of data
- Other duties as assigned.
- Represent Morehouse School of Medicine and collaborating partners at technical working group meetings related to SmartCare
- Document outcomes of all meeting with IPs and MOH related to SmartCare for distribution to project leadership
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Expert knowledge of SmartCare database structure required
- Five (5) years relevant work experience in database programming, analysis and application server.
- Significant (5+) years of frontend and backend experience with SmartCare highly desired
- 3+ years of experience in Development – SQL Development
- Experience in structured relational Database Design and ERD, as well as in Application Server
- Ability to write concise and accurate technical instructions throughout program development
- Ability to troubleshoot database programming issues, errors, and subsequent modifications; must be able to do this with the work of other programmers
- Fundamental skills in data analysis and data modeling
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational and analytical skills
- Ability to work independently and as a team member; manage strict deadlines; and work in a results and solution-oriented environment
- Experience working on PEPFAR and other donor funded health projects highly desired
- Extensive experience working with and supporting MOH highly desired
- Strong MS SQL Server skills (SQL Server 2012-2019)
- Experience in migration of data from other systems (e.g. MS Access) to MS SQL Server strongly preferred
- QL Server database Stored Procedures/Triggers and database development
- .NET Framework 4.8, 4.7, 4.5, 4.0, etc.
- Expert C# Programming
- XML, TXT files, preferred
- PL/SQL programming
- Bachelors of Science in Computer Science or equivalent two-year certification in computer studies required
- Masters of Science in Computer Science and /or Information Systems or higher desired
If interested in this opportunity, kindly send the following items to [email protected] by Tuesday, 25 August 2020 by 23:59 hours:
1. Your CV/ resume or company profile outlining how you meet the above requirements
2. Application letter with hourly rate (in Kwacha or USD)
3. Photocopies of original professional certificates, degrees (please combine all these documents into 1 PDF file)
4. Contact information of five professional references
Please do not submit additional materials. Kindly put “MSM HISD Application” in the email subject line. Applicants who fail to follow these application instructions will be disqualified from further consideration.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates that have followed these specific instructions will be considered and contacted. Please note that if you have not heard from us by the 27th of August 2020, kindly consider your application unsuccessful. However, your CV will be kept in our database for any suitable positions that might arise in the future.