Overall Job Purpose
- To perform different types of analysis on all Plant control, Environmental, Metallurgical, Oil samples, InterLab and Daily metal sale samples as per laid down procedures so as to provide quality control operations and provide a satisfactory service to the user department.
Specific Job Responsibility
- This position will be required to adhere to all relevant requirements, policies, procedures and legal regulations pertaining to health, safety, environment and quality, as well as finance, human resources, and any other regulations as required by the company and relevant to the level of the role and responsibilities of the function.
- Be able to understand a written standard operating procedure (SOP) and effect it.
- Carry out elemental and chemical analysis, viscosity measurement and particle size analysis in all oil samples.
- Carry out carbon and sulphur analysis using both the Leco and Eltra Machines
- Carry out Copper, iron, nickel cobalt, manganese, aluminium analyses by AAS and XRF machines
- Carry out insols by gravimetric and XRF methods
- Carry out copper analyses by both auto and manual titration method.
- Be able to analyse physical parameters in the of water samples.
- Carry out dust and bacteriological tests in water samples.
- Have skills in instrument trouble shooting.
- Standardize and calibrate the all analytical equipment.
- Daily progress report of samples tested.
- Clean and maintain the instruments on a daily basis before and after use.
- Maintaining good working relationships with internal and external customers
- Carry out duties as assigned by the Supervisor
- Manage and maintain good housekeeping of the laboratory working bench surfaces and rooms.
- Prioritize workloads and ensure that turnaround time obligations on analysis are met.
- Ensure good communication with co-workers and superiors during shift.
- Uphold discipline in the section.
- Ensuring that duties are performed according to accepted standards and regulations.
- Providing timely and accurate support.
- To perform any reasonable task as instructed by Shift Chemist/Chief Chemist
Job Specific Competencies
- Closely monitoring the usage of consumables (acids/reagents).
- Encouraging two way communications between supervisor and samplers
- Attending daily team toolbox meetings.
- Act in line with Company goals and values;
- Be loyal to the Company;
- Behave with integrity;
- Show respect for others;
- Work co-operatively;
- Be open and honest;
- Feel free to express opinions and ideas.
- Be safety conscious.
Key Job Attributes
- Bold Initiative
- Thinking Safety
- Upholding Quality
- Technical Skill
- Driving Quantity
- Driving Attendance
Experience required to perform in this job
- A minimum of 1-year relevant experience in the Laboratory
- First aid training
- Training in LIMS
- Training in Quality Systems
- Minimum Qualification should be Advanced certificate in Laboratory Science or Assayer Certificate
- Training in Quality Systems