Position Title: Project Manager – COVID19 Impact mitigation for Conservation and Tourism Dependent Communities in the Zambian components of the KAZA TFCA Project (COVID 19 Relief Project)
Reports to: Wildlife Program Lead
Location: Lusaka, Zambia
Period: 1 Year ; November 2020 to October 2021
The World-Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) is the world’s leading independent conservation organisation with a global network in over 100 countries. Our mission is to stop the degradation of the planet’s natural environment and to build a future in which people live in harmony with nature. We have been working in Zambia since 1962 organising our efforts across Freshwater, Wildlife, Forests and People.
Following the outbreak of the Corona Virus Disease 19 (COVID 19), the Tourism and Conservation sectors have been one of the worst hit by the pandemic. With funding from KfW, and in partnership with the Department of National Parks and Wildlife (DNPW), WWF Zambia has been appointed the Lead Implementing Agent for the COVID19 Impact Mitigation Project for Conservation and Tourism Dependent Communities in the Zambian Components of the Kavango Zambezi Trans frontier Conservation Area (KAZA TFCA). This is a 12 months project which runs from September 2020 to August 2021. WWF Zambia seeks to engage a Project Manager for the project who will be based in Lusaka but will be required to travel extensively within the project area.
The Project Manager will be responsible for the Management, coordination, and efficient implementation of the one year ambitious project. The incumbent will provide leadership in planning, contract development, and coordination of implementing partners in the four project landscapes, engaging stakeholders as well as technical and financial reporting functions of the project.
2. Major Duties and Responsibilities
The Project Manager will report to the WWF Zambia Wildlife Program Leader. He/ She will be responsible for
Project Planning and Management
- Engage with relevant WWF staff, DNPW, implementing partners and stakeholders to gather information relevant for the implementation of the project.
- Conduct periodic work plan implementation and budget analyses and advise the Wildlife Program leader
- Develop clear work flows and targets for implementing field teams, service provides and implementing partners
- Convene regular planning sessions with implementing partners and field implementing teams
Project implementation & coordination
- Supervision of the overall day-to-day management and implementation of project outputs and activities as outlined in the project document and Plan of Operations, including finance, planning and liaising with WWF Zambia Headquarters and field staff
- Regularly consult with WWF staff, partner organizations, target groups and service providers to ensure the timely implementation and completion of planned activities as outlined in the approved plan of Operation
- Ensure efficient and timely sub-contracting of implementing partners, contracting of consultants and service providers necessary for the Project implementation, as well as the management of any sub-grant
- Coordinate and supervise the implementation of project activities across the landscapes
- Ensure that the project draw from other WWF-supported projects, avoiding duplication and maximizing synergy.
- Management of risks and issues, and execution of adaptive management in consultation with Wildlife Programme Team Leader
- Conduct monitoring events as required to verify project activities relative to stated targets and to support and back-stop partners sub-granted work in priority landscapes
- Analysis and aggregation of project results/outputs, and reporting of project progress at the objective and outcome level
- Develop and operationalise a dashboard for tracking activity implementation progress
- Document lessons learnt
- Ensure timely submission of reports from WWF implementing field teams, implementing partners and service provides
- Review and provide timely feedback on the reports from implementing partners, field offices and service providers
- Ensure timely technical reporting to the Wildlife program Leader, KAZA Secretariat, donors and Country Director, as required and according to agreed standards;
- Compile and review monthly progress reports from partner organizations and respond to any support needs
- Coordinate the timely submission of Financial reports with the Grant Accountant
- Cooperates with programmatic audits, and implements audit recommendations in a timely manner
Contribute to project fundraising
Required Qualifications and Experience
- A Masters qualification or higher (MSc, MA or MBA degree) in Natural Resources, Environmental Management, Social Work or Development studies
- At least 5 years of relevant experience at Project Manager level in large landscape level projects
- Previous work experience in the wildlife/ natural resources sector will be an added advantage
- Ability to work within a multidisciplinary and multicultural team;
- Experience in international development organisations will be an added advantage
5. Required Skills and Competencies
- Excellent stakeholder engagement, relationship management project supervisory skills
- Strong organisational and analytical skills;
- Strong skills and proven track record in project planning and implementation, financial management and reporting;
- Strong program/ project management skills and proven initiative, working under pressure and meeting deadlines;
- Excellent communication skills -good command of English and both written and spoken
- a strong capacity to work independently;
- Proven track record of drafting technical reports and related documentation in the field of biodiversity & ecosystem and sustainable landscape management;Accountability and commitment to WWF’s mission
6. Working Relationships
Internal: Interacts regularly with other WWF ZCO staff, particularly the
External: Interacts with DNPW and government departments, Partner NGOs, Community Resources Boards and appropriate KAZA Secretariat staff for the coordinated and efficient project implementation
This job description covers the main tasks and conveys the spirit of sort of tasks that are anticipated proactively from staff. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary according to organisational needs for effective programme implementation.
Applications including cover letter with brief outline of relevant qualification and experiences, CV, expected remuneration and references to be submitted by email by Nov 20th, 5pm to [email protected] with subject line “ Covid-19 Project Manager – Zambia”, to The People, Culture & Operations Manager – Zambia.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com