Website United Nations World Food Programme
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelors Degree in Mass Communication or related field or commensurate experience;
- Minimum of 3 years of experience working in a documentation role in the development sector.
The World Food Programme (WFP) in conjunction with the Ministry of General Education (MoGE) is implementing the Micronutrient Powder (MNP) Project in Petauke District. The primary objective of the MNPs project is to address micronutrient deficiencies among schoolchildren under the HGSF programme in nine (09) primary schools targeting 5,000 children. In addition, the project aims at documenting best practices and acceptability of the product among schoolchildren in order to inform policy discourse on mandatory fortification of maize meal in Zambia.
Petauke district was selected because of the high prevalence of micronutrient deficiencies among schoolchildren. The rationale for the pilot was justified by the fact that the efficacy of MNPs is a proven scientific fact worldwide; with evidence in countries where MNPS have been used indicating maximum benefits in addressing micronutrient deficiencies among schoolchildren.
This pilot, therefore, is directly impacts the following target groups:
- Government entities at district level and teachers.
To better raise public awareness of the intervention, strengthen our partnerships and improve advocacy efforts, WFP would like to document case studies/ successes stories and lessons learnt from the project.
PURPOSE AND SCOPE OF WORK
The MNPs project will operationally close in November 2018. The purpose of the assignment is to illustrate the project’s successes and lessons learnt. WFP is seeking a consultant (s) to document the project’s achievements through case studies, interview with key informants, photography and lessons learnt. The case studies/success stories, and pictures will be used to showcase the community interventions implemented during the project.
The specific objectives of the assignment are to:
- Document and draft 6 case studies that highlight some of the impacts of the programme at individual, school and household-level. These case studies will be used to market the successes of the programme.
- Capture photographs that will accompany the case studies and document the project’s achievements
- Extract highlights from key informants- NDCC officials, head teachers, DEBS, SHN Coordinators and some teachers on the performance of the children since the introduction of the MNPs in the schools
- Document both success factors and what not to do for future programming
- Document lessons learnt that can be shared with stakeholders and to improve future programming.
The consultant(s) will be expected to travel to project sites in Petauke to carry out interviews with project beneficiaries.
Activity A: Written case studies and documented lessons
- Document and produce six cases studies and lessons learned
- Present the draft case studies and lessons learnt to WFP for review
- Finalize case studies and lessons learnt based on feedback received
Activity B: Photography
- 60 high-resolution photographs from case studies, edited and captioned.
- Copy of all interview recordings and/or transcripts
- A detailed report on all photography, including names and contact details of all individuals interviewed and original copies of signed consent forms filled out by each interviewee.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE NEEDED
- Proven good writing skills in particular case studies/success stories and documenting lessons learnt;
- 5 years’ experience for collecting case studies/ success stories and documenting lessons learnt;
- Good understanding of the nutrition and health issues;
- Excellent written and spoken English language skills;
- A demonstrated ability (through previous similar assignments) to analyze, compile and synthesize information in coherent and succinct formats; and
- Outstanding photo and video editing skills;
DURATION OF THE ASSIGNMENT
The assignment is expected to take 30 working days from the date of signing the contract.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
The deadline for submission of the application is Sunday 22nd July 2018 (Midnight Zambian Time).
This position is open to Zambian nationals only.
Intrested candidates must create their profiles on http://www1.wfp.org/careers and also submit a Technical/Financial Proposal or Concept Note on how they will conduct the case study. Envelopes should be marked CONFIDENTIAL – DOCUMENTATION OF CASE STUDIES MICRONUTRIENT POWDERS PILOT PROJECT- SSA. The sealed envelope should be submitted to: The Head of Human Resources, United Nations World Food Programme Zambia P.O. Box 37726 Lusaka, Zambia Or; delivered by hand at WFP Offices (tender box) Plot # 10/4971, Tito Road Rhodespark, Lusaka, Zambia. Please ensure that you mention www.gozambiajobs.com as the source of this job advertisement.
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.