Looking for interview tips?
A job interview is a great way for employers to find out about your suitability for the role AND for you to find out more about the employer. In this article we list 7 interview tips and include a list of potential interview questions.
7 Amazing Interview Tips
1. Prepare for the interview. Re-read the job specification and any additional information sent to you by the recruiter. Write down the requirements of the role and make notes on how you meet these requirements. Find out more in our article how to improve your application success rate.
2. Research the organisation and sector in which the organisation operates. Ask friends, family or acquaintances for information that may help you better understand the role and organisation.
3. Try and think of examples that will demonstrate your competency. Interviewers will often ask for examples of how you carried out a task so make sure that you are prepared. A useful acronym when thinking of examples is STAR – Situation, Task, Action, Result. What was the situation? What was the task you had to do? How did you act? What were the results? Remember to focus on what YOU did rather than on what others might have done and ensure your achievements are quantifiable – read the article how to shout about your achievements for help with this.
4. Dress appropriately for the vacancy advertised. Check the article dress to impress.
5. Confirm the date and time of your interview prior to the interview date.
6. For your personal safety advise family or friends of where you are going and when you should return. Check out our safe job search tips here.
7. Take a copy of your resume, cover letter and interview invitation letter to the interview and make sure that you arrive in good time – first impressions really do count!
Sample Interview Questions
Interview questions vary dependent on the specific nature of the role and can include:
1. Experience Based Question
- Please can you outline your previous employment experience?
- What relevant experience do you have that would make you suitable for this role?
- What qualifications do you have that are relevant to this role?
2. Scenario Based Questions and Problem Solving Questions
- A customer approaches you and makes a complaint – how would you react?
- A colleague has put forward a proposal to management that you think could be improved – what would you do?
- How would you carry out a task relevant to your role (for example, if you applied for a job as an accountant you may be asked to outline how you would maintain the accounts)?
3. Motivational Questions and Personality Questions
- Why do you want to leave your current job?
- Why do you want to work for us?
- What motivates you?
- What are your career goals?
- What are your strengths and weaknesses?
- How would others describe you?
To find more interview questions AND answers visit: www.gozambiajobs.com/top-10-interview-questions
To find more free careers advice in Zambia just visit: Careers Advice
Search for Jobs
To search for the latest jobs in Zambia visit: www.gozambiajobs.com